Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:50 PM   #1

In all honestly I am a photo hack. I'll take the obligatory kid's sports, holiday etc pictures, but other than that, I really don't do too much. I also rarely print or have prints made, and can't ever see anything bigger than a 5x7. Do I really need a 3-4-5+ MP camera?

I know the latest trend is to push the megapixels and more is better, but honestly, is it given what I intend the camera for?

I know that Panasonic fans are big on the FZ-10, but all I need is ability to take some decent action photos of my son (indoors and out) and see the FZ-2 as a decent alternative in the 10x optical zoom category. The pricing here is $899 Cdn for the FZ-10 and $499 for the FZ-2. The FZ-3 is no where to be found yet and pricing seems to be $649 Cdn.

Opinions/thoughts/alternatives??
StuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 1:41 PM   #2

Stu-

Perhaps the co-joined question is why do you need a 12X optical zoom digital camera? Based on what you have included in your post, it appears that byou need nothing more than a very highly rated Canon-A-60 which sells for $US 99.00.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 2:24 PM   #3

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
Stu-

Perhaps the co-joined question is why do you need a 12X optical zoom digital camera? Based on what you have included in your post, it appears that byou need nothing more than a very highly rated Canon-A-60 which sells for $US 99.00.

Sarah Joyce
More zoom is better, right :lol:I have always been disappointed with my CP800 with its 2x zoom, and even with a teleconvertor.

Bear with me, I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. The zoom mostly based on

- usual distance from subject (sports shots across a field and an arena).

- zoom'd shots indoors (tough, I know)

- don't want to fuss with add-on lenses

The FZ-x claims to maintain f2.8 through the entire zoom range where most do not.
StuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:31 PM   #4

All of your statements are true. However, did you know that Panasonic recently changed their warranty policy. They still offer a one year warranty on parts, but on labor you are only covered for the first 90 days. That is a HUGE change!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote