Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:38 AM   #1
amf

Hello,

I'm from Portugal and new in this forum.I need help to choose the best digital camera for long shots, but not for large prints. Also I need to know if there are diferences to take pictures at night betwen this cameras.
amf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:43 AM   #2

I happen to own both the Olympus C-765 and the Canon S-1. I prefer the Canon S-1 because it has stabilization. It is not mentioned a great deal but stabilization improves the sharpness and detail in a digital photo quite measurably.

In terms of night photos, both digital cameras are about equal.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:31 AM   #3
amf

thanks speaklight,

I really want to know the diferences abouth:

image quality results indoor and outdoor

autofocus speed

shutter lag

easy to use

image stabilizer (canon) means really better results?

Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:50 PM   #4

Amf-

I will accept your challenge. However, I want you to take a look at these three: the Olympus C-765, the Canon S-1, and the Kyocera M410R.

The best image quality indoors: The Kyocera is the winner. It clearly has a better flash and a better range of available ISO settings.

The best image quality outdoors: Here, thanks to image stabilization, the Canon S-1 is the winner. Image stabilization by the way not only stabilizes long zoom shots, but it also allow help at the other end of the spectrum. With IS you can hand hold shots down to 1/15th of a second. That would be impossible for the C-765 or the Kyocera.

Autofocus speed: Here the winner is the Kyocera, followed very closely by the Canon S-1. The Olympus C-765 does a lot of hunting around before finally achieving sharp focus.

Shutterlag: Here again, Kocera is the winner. It sshutter lag is a phenominal .07 of a second. The Canon has a .3 second shutter lag and the C-765 is dead last with up to 3 seconds while the camera is hunting around trying to find the correct focus.

Ease of use: Here the winner is the Kyocera, followed by the Canon, and the C-765.

How can I make these judgements? I own all three digital camera and have taken thousands of digital photos with them. I am speaking from the most important experience measurement. I know because I own and use these three digital camera. It is not a matter of reading reviews, it is a matter of using these digital cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:26 PM   #5

Sarah, I have been reading here for days! You have convinced me that of all this level of cameras, the S1 IS is the way to go. But let me ask. I have a Sony Mavica CD1000 that I really liked. The picture quality was good to my eye. But it is now broken. Will, I be happy with the S1 IS? Happy with the quality and zoom? I loved that zoom. But the CD1000 is so heavy anyway. Also, my friend has a Nikon 5700 and his pictures are beautiful. I was thinking about getting a 8700 but I saw somewhere that you didn't like them. Why?

Freida
Freida's Adventures IBLOG Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/iblo...647/index.html
Gene's Web Site:
http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/Personal16.html
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 6:06 AM   #6
amf

Thanks Sarah. Your opinion it's very important for my decision.

If I´ve understood correctly, as I want to use the camera outdoors ( 90% of the times ) then the S1 it ´ll be better. Correct?

But now, one more indecision: My brother have a Nikon 5700, thatcosts almoust the same as the S1, wich do you think it´s better? ( the same freidaw said)
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:52 AM   #7

Now I'm looking at the Canon Pro 1. I just compared pictures and the Pro One, in my eyes, have better picture quality. But then I have been staring at this screen for days now, trying to decide!
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:13 PM   #8

Please stay away from the 8mp digital cameras! I own a Nikon 8700 and it produces digital photos that are very comparable with my 5-6mp digital cameras such as the Fuji E-550, the Sony W-1, The pentax 550, and even my 4mp Kyocera M410R! Why spend $900 for a digital camera that willNOT produce that is any better than a $400 digital camera??

I made a BIG mistake and I am admiting it, in the hope that others will not be sucked in as I was. Please think about this: the Canon S-1 is running about $330 on the internet right now. That is an even greater savings.

However, the botom line is this: its your money and your decision. Please do whatever pleases you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:23 PM   #9

speaklightly: your posts have been very useful for me, thank you! Is there any way I could see some photos taken with the Canon S1 and the Kyocera? maybe you could email me some samples?
insideabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 9:38 PM   #10

Hi Sarah!

What do you think of the E550's image quality compared to the W1 and 550? I've seen many complaints about the W1 producing blurry images. Supposedly the program is biased towards slower shutter speeds and the flash doesn't engage soon enough. Speaking of IS, have you tried the Panasonic FZ3?

Jim
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote