Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:02 PM   #1

I wish to finout throught this forum which camera is considered a betterbuy, theKodak 6490 or the Olympus 750 and why.I appreciate everyone's input and wish to thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:15 PM   #2

The Kodak DX-6490 is clearly the better digital camera in my opinion. I own both the Olympus C-750 and the Kodak 6490. The Olympus C-750 is very delicate and vulnerable to damage. Many C-750 users have had the gear assembly that extends the C-750's lens fail or jam . Myself included!

That is why the Olympus C-765 uses a totally new design for lens extension.

Sarah Joyce

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:19 PM   #3

I have never owned anything but olympus and I have the C-750 now. Have had it for almost 2 years now and have had no problems with it except the menu button. For whatever reason for a short period of time when you pressed the menu button it made the camera want to re focus. Must of been a glitch cause it works fine now. Great pictures one after another. I have printed everything from 4x6 prints to 24x36 poster prints with the images from this camera and they all were great. There are other newer cameras out there with better technology but that will always be the case. It seems as soon as you decide on buying a certain digital camera its already outdated and replaced by something else. So untill I make the switch to DSLR, Iwill hold on to my C-750. Compared to other older cameras I have seen from friends and family and fotos I have seen posted on websites and forums, nothing excels the C-750 in zoom,performance and picture quality. I have the T-CON 17and theW-CON 8, The FL-50 flash and an arsenal of filters and the C-750 complements these accesories nicely. I couldnt be happier with my C-750. That is untill I get a DSLR.

The choice is yours my friend.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:24 AM   #4

I would get the Kodak. The Olympus C750 seems to have alot of quality control problems with the lens. Also it uses xD memory (yuck). It's even more expensive than Memory stick!
x10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:34 AM   #5

I would get the Kodak. The Olympus C750 seems to have alot of quality control problems with the lens. Also it uses xD memory (yuck). It's even more expensive than Memory stick!
Old Sep 4, 2004, 7:13 AM   #6

I am not sure where all the lens problems debate started but I havent had any problems with mine at all. Its sharp,fast,long zoom and perfectly reliable. And as far as the Xd memory cards. They are not as expensive as memory sticks. I have a 128, 2 256, and 1 512 mb cards and they all only set me back 280 dollars. Thats a little more than CF or SM but the panorama stitching these Xd cards provide is awsome. After downloading pics and putting them in Camedia I have perfect panorama pics in less than 3 minuites.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:57 PM   #7

That's good that your C750 has served you well. Not questioning that at all.

If you did a search on the camera forums you will see others having such problems.

The fact that only Olympus and Fuji uses xD memory will probably mean that xD memory will remain more expensive than the more common CF or SD cards. That is a fixed cost that needs to be taken into consideration.