Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:26 AM   #1

I am thinking about buy a C770 and the images seem very nice from what I've seen, but also everything I've read is about how you need an image stabilizer when using a zoom in the range of 10x or 12x. Does the lack of a image stabilizer hinder the C770 quality or can you still get good sharp images without a tripod? I mostly do freehand shots and want something that will still take sharp photos. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Danny
DanielRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 3:07 PM   #2

Depends on the amount of light available (this is a limitation of photography)...the general rule is to have a shutter speed of 1/focal length, so at 380mm zoom (full optical zoom on the 770) you need a shutter speed of at least 1/400th for a handheld shot (although steadier hands can get away with slower shutter speeds)...this is a bright sunny day. In lower light (like dusk, indoors, night, or a stadium) you will need a tripod to get that close a zoom. I will say that I have taken handheld shots with my C-700 at full digital zoom (1000mm on the C-700)...again that was in bright mid-day light:
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328790

Anyway, just wanted to say it can be done...many people say the photos are better with the C-7x0 series than with other long zoom cameras. Of course C-2100 users swear by the IS on the C-2100 cameras.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for all C-7xx users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 6:26 PM   #3

I plan on doing a lot of macro photography, especially like flowres, I love shooting the sunset and would love to get some pictures of the moon. I like birds and other things in nature a lot too. So...I'm hoping that the FZ series is going to satisfy my needs as a photographer.
DanielRuth is offline   Reply With Quote