Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one?
Canon Digital Rebel 2 33.33%
Canon EOS 10D 1 16.67%
Nikon D70 2 33.33%
Nikon D100 0 0%
Other 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 1, 2004, 5:14 PM   #1

Okay. I have had my FZ1 for about 2 years now and am seriously considering stepping up to a dSLR. The age old question... "Which one?"

If you had about $1,200 (which I don't, so if you have it, please give it to me!), which one would you consider adding to your collection?

Canon Digital Rebel

Canon EOS 10D

Canon EOS 20D

Nikon D70

Nikon D100

Or something else?

I don't need a professional (translation Nikon D2H or Canon Mark II) level camera, but since I am taking the plunge and getting a dSLR I might as well go for one with all the bells and whistles! I want more control over the final result than I do with my trusty FZ1.

I would be interested in the following features:

• remote shutter [/*]
  • Li-on battery [/*]
  • RAW [/*]
  • auto-focus assist light (is it necessary on such a high end camera?) [/*]
  • low noise [/*]
  • low shutter lag [/*]
  • broad range of ISO settings [/*]
  • other bells and whistles [/*]
Please convince me why a particular camera is worth considering. If you were buying one for a family member (well, the family member you like the most), which would you buy them?

-Thanx!

-Neal
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:53 PM   #2
NHL

Where is the 20D option in your poll?
IMO it'll be so overwhelming... that you might not even need to poll!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:24 AM   #3

i assume that you do not have any current lenses and therefore have no reason to lean towards one brand rather than the other.

the EOS 20D is eagerly awaited but is likely to be expensive and no-one knows anything about it.

the Minolta D7D is also eagerly awaited andwill havethe advantage of anti-shake in camera (whereas the Nikon and Canon approach is to put anti-shake / image stabilisation in the lenses, which makes it more expensive if you want multiple lenses with that facility)

the question is, can you wait for the above to be released (and for their bugs to be ironed out) before you buy, or do you want to start shooting now?

if you want to start shooting now, i would say go with the D70. it is priced to compete with the Rebel but in terms of performance it competes with the D100 and the 10D.

alternatively, you could always wait for the D200 which will replace the D100.

when you have made the decision to get an SLR, my advice would be to get on with it. There will always be a new improved version just over the horizon - if you keep waiting, you'll never take the leap!
Timeless-161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:40 PM   #4

Timeless-161 wrote:
Quote:
i assume that you do not have any current lenses and therefore have no reason to lean towards one brand rather than the other.
Quote:
Nope, no current lenses.

the EOS 20D is eagerly awaited but is likely to be expensive and no-one knows anything about it.

the Minolta D7D is also eagerly awaited andwill havethe advantage of anti-shake in camera (whereas the Nikon and Canon approach is to put anti-shake / image stabilisation in the lenses, which makes it more expensive if you want multiple lenses with that facility)
Quote:
Hmmm... the D7D has picqued my interest! I like the anti-shake feature of my FZ1. Might be worth waiting for in a dSLR! I wonder what the cost will be??
Quote:
when you have made the decision to get an SLR, my advice would be to get on with it. There will always be a new improved version just over the horizon - if you keep waiting, you'll never take the leap!
Quote:
I agree 100% But since I really don't have the funds at this exact moment, maybe the D7D willbe around when I actually am ready to buy. Thank you for the feedback!
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:07 PM   #5

duuuude! where have you been!

well..i'm a canon supporter, so i'd go with one of them

the lenses, i've heard from trusted friends, are better by canon...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:12 PM   #6

I was in a similar position about 6 months ago and elected to purchase the Canon Digital Rebel. The camera has provided with all that I had hoped for. The lower cost also provided me room in the budget to purchase the Canon 28-135 USM/IS lens. I do not hesitate in recommending the DR.

Good luck

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:24 PM   #7

Yes, I agree.

The DRebel is a wonderful camera for the money.

I bought mine because I had always wanted a DSLR, but found them to be always too expensive for someone who doesn't make their living with a camera.

My DRebel was cheaper then my Nikon 990 back in 2000. :O

So, don't count the DRebel. If your tight on money, then the DRebel is the best value out there if you include the kit lens with it.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:07 PM   #8

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
duuuude! where have you been!
Quote:
Ugh, don't ask (but you can ask Betsy if you really want the details, tell her that I give her permission to tell you, in PM)
Quote:
That's pretty amazing that you have more posts than gibson!
Quote:

well..i'm a canon supporter, so i'd go with one of them
Quote:
I have a Canon photo printer
(i960)
the lenses, i've heard from trusted friends, are better by canon...
Quote:
Well, that actually brings up something I was thinking about. Which lenses are the most popular? If I go out and do a shoot with some other photogs and say "Hey, can I borrow your <xyx> lens. What would be the odds that someone will have a lens that will work on my dSLR body?
Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:28 PM   #9

OK, which one should I get?

Rebelor D70?

I mean for $200-$500 more (depending on what kit you buy) wouldn't the D70 be better? I readthat the Rebel doesn't have an auto-focus assist light, but actually sendsa seriesof flashes from the built-in flash. How does that work? What about inno flash situations (like whereflash photography is prohibited).

Thank you again,

Neal