Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:22 PM   #1

I've been researching digital cameras to upgrade from my current Canon S30 that I've had for about 18 months and taken 1900+ pictures with. The subject is almost always a member of the family, more often than not my son, as we live far away from our family and they demand frequent pictures. I'm now looking to upgrade to a more powerful camera and could use some advice. Most discussions in these forums seem to focus on the cameras when pushed to their limits- wildlife, exotic night scenes, etc., which are things that I can only dream of someday having time to try out. Right now, I need a camera that takes stellar photos of a fast-moving toddler and a soon-to-be arriving baby. I'm looking for above average zoom (not happy w/ current 3x on my Canon), fast auto-focus, very accurate auto setting (wife has no interest in manual controls), and enough MP room to crop when I forget to zoom in. Also, it MUST have AF-assist as most shots are indoors. Most prints would be 4x6 and 5x7

My current short list is:

FZ20

G6

V3

Any feedback on these cameras in the settings described above would be much appreciated. Caution- my toughest critics will be the grandparents!

Thanks in advance!
acfpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2004, 7:25 AM   #2

Let's look at your choices. The FZ-20 is a physically large digital camera. To grasp the size, please understand that it uses 72mm filters. The G-6 and the V-3 are lower range zoom digital cameras with 4X optical zoom only.

My choice would be the Olympus S-1 digital camera which will cost a lot less, is smaller and more compactand will produce digital photos rivalingyour V3 or G-6 choices. Another good choice would be the Kyocera M410R. Please take a look at some of these alternative choices.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:48 PM   #3

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
Let's look at your choices. The FZ-20 is a physically large digital camera. To grasp the size, please understand that it uses 72mm filters. The G-6 and the V-3 are lower range zoom digital cameras with 4X optical zoom only.

My choice would be the Olympus S-1 digital camera which will cost a lot less, is smaller and more compactand will produce digital photos rivalingyour V3 or G-6 choices. Another good choice would be the Kyocera M410R. Please take a look at some of these alternative choices.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not really concerned about about the size of the FZ if the quality of pictures is worth it. For portability, I'll still have the S30 on backup. I tried to look up the Oly model you suggested, but can't seem to find anything from Olympus with that model designation- only the E-1 which I'm sure you were not referring to.
acfpt is offline   Reply With Quote