Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2004, 7:26 PM   #1

The Pentax Optio S40 for £159.99

or

Sony DSC-W12 (special edition black W1) for £229.99

Now, I know the Sony has the extra MP and the bigger LCD but do you think I am really getting a lot more camera for the extra £70?

If I buy the Optio, I will also need to buy a case and a charger and four NiMH batteries.

The Sony comes with a case and a charger with four batteries. Hmm... tough choice.

I was all for the Optio but then I keep reading negative stuff about it. Seems like a bargain at that price though.

Opinions are gratefully received and please feel free to confuse me more by throwing another camera into the mix! :?
jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2004, 7:07 AM   #2

Clearly the Sony W-1 or W-12 is the better digital camera. It has more mp, a low light level focusing lamp, and it produces better digital photos due to the Zeiss lens.

The Sony W-1 also has faster start-up and shot to shot times. My choice would surely be the Sony W-1 or W-12.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 7:38 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Sarah. That was kind of the way I was swinging...

I think £229 for the W12 with case and four batts is a pretty good price considering how relatively expensive this sort of stuff is in the UK. We don't call it "rip-off Britain" for nothing!

Reckon I'll order the Sony next week, then come on here and sing its praises!

Edit: Just to confuse things further I have found the Sony DSC-P93 on Amazon for just £179.99. Seems to perform much like the W1 but with a smaller screen. I much prefer the look of the W1 but is it worth the extra £50?
Old Sep 6, 2004, 7:09 AM   #4

And just to confuse things yet further, my uncle goes to Hong Kong every couple of months. He said he can pick up a Pentax Optio S40 for 1500HKD - that's just £108!

Now, I have heard some criticism of this little camera but surely at that price I can't go far wrong. He is phoning his colleague in HK this afternoon to find out how much he can get the Sony W1 for...
Old Sep 6, 2004, 7:31 AM   #5

Pentax or Sony?

Choose Pentax if you want to make a picture.

and

Choose Sony if you want to make a movie.
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:14 PM   #6

Well I took the plunge!

I found out today that 7dayshop.com had reduced the black DSC-W1 to just £209 including VAT and delivery. So within a week I will be the proud owner of this awesome digicam.

Expect to find me on here boring you all with details next week!

WOOHOO!
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:18 PM   #7

JJ,

I like those 7dayshop guys, prices that makes stuff more affordable than you thought possible. Been reliable for me too.

Glad to hear you ordered the W1 (well I would be wouldn't I :-) )....but really as I know you have listened to those that say they are not that good you have your eyes open and will give us some good honestfeedback.

As a matter of interest I bought my Vivitar DF120 Slave Flash from 7dayshop to use with my 5MP Sony. That makes a huge difference to the rather weak flash of all these smaller digicams......assuming you aren't allergic to flash images! I think they are selling it for less than £20 now....massive bargain compared to the pricey Sony own unit.

Good luck and let us know how the W1 goes soon.

Edit: BTW one of the Amazon marketplace sellers seems to source from Hong Kong and their prices for most Sony stuff is very low....but you do have to watch compatability with some UKitems.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 1:18 PM   #8

Nice one Cyber!

I'll definitely look into that. Does it fit onto the camera or do you have to hold it separately? Youknow that question sounds really dumb even as I write it...
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:19 AM   #9

Okay so I got my W1 and I adore it!

I took this shot indoors on full manual with no flash and a remarkably steady hand. I am just getting to grips with all the settings - I got a book for my 30th birthday that has loads of info about apertures and ISO and the likes. It's all a bit new to me!
Attached Images