Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:23 PM   #1

I have an A40 which just died and I need a new camera...

Ok. I have done some research, however, I am still stuck. I am looking for a 4MP+ 4x+ optical zoom with quick picture time. I have a 1 yr old daughter and the need to quickly take a picture or multiple pictures is of great importance. Also, it would be best if the Auto function took great pictures for my wife so she didn't have to do any manual configuration. I am limited to about $300 and have found the following cameras to meet most of the criteria:

Kodak: dx7440 and dx6490

Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z1 or Z2

Fuji FinePix S3100 Digital Camera

Canon Powershot A80 - A85

Sony Cybershot CSC-P93 and
CSC-P73

However, I can't decide which is going to give me the best picture for the price and to meet my "quick trigger" needs. Any advice I can get will be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks!

-Brian
bmilhizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:20 AM   #2

From my experience, I'd go with either the dx7440 or the p-73. Both cameras are going to be the quickest all around out of the bunch. I'd even go one step further and say that the Kodak will do a better job all around with both picture quality and video quality. The 4X Schneider lens is pretty awesome for the money and with video clips (supports both vga 640x480 and qvga 320x240) only limited by the amount of memory available I think it's a pretty clear choice.

Also, I used one of the 7440's outdoors and the 2.2" lcd is actually pretty sweet. Even in direct sunlight you still are able to take very accurate shots with no surprises later on.

You mentioned having "quick trigger" needs, well the 7440 is going to be the quickest out of all the cameras you have listed too. This is from personal experience using most of those cameras or ones very similar. Even tweaking the settings to get faster overall speeds, the kodak is hands down the fastest. You will find that even with ther higher speed though there is still no sacrifice in quality or bluring, CA, distortion, etc etc.

I'm shopping right now for a camera for a relative and am settling between the 7440 and a nikon 4100. The more I think about the Kodak the more I like it. :?
brian_prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I am heading over to a Wolf Camera to try them all out. One question I have about the Kodak is do the batteries HAVE to be charged in the camera or is there an external charger? Every time the batteries die, I don't want to have to charge the whole camera! Especially if I buy a spare.

FYI: The best prices I have found online to buy the cameras are:

http://www.amphotoworld.com/

Please let me know if you find somewhere cheaper!

-Brian
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:23 PM   #4

Both the 7440 and the 6490 come with an external battery charger, meaning that the battery is charged outside the camera. You can charge them in the camera with the optional camera dock or printer dock.

If you get a Kodak and decide to get an extra battery, be aware that there are two versions. One is a 1050 maH capacity, and the other is 1700 maH, which will give you a lot more shoting time. I think there is less than $10 difference between the two. I would recommend the higher capacity battery.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:12 PM   #5

After going to Wolf Camera and actually playing with them, I am most likely going to purchase the Kodak. Athough, now that puts me at another dilema - WHICH ONE!!!

dx7440: 4MP w/ 4x Zoom for $235
dx6490: 4MP w/ 10x Zoom for $300

Since my older daughter plays sports (she's a soccer keeper), I'm really leaning towards the 6490 due to the 10x optical zoom.

Any thoughts?

Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:23 PM   #6
Administrator

bmilhizer wrote:
Quote:
FYI: The best prices I have found online to buy the cameras are:

http://www.amphotoworld.com/

Please let me know if you find somewhere cheaper!

-Brian
Brian:

When you see prices that are lower than everyone else, Caveat Emptor (prices are very competitive with the online dealers now)! Make sure to read my post here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:54 PM   #7

bmilhizer wrote:
Quote:
After going to Wolf Camera and actually playing with them, I am most likely going to purchase the Kodak. Athough, now that puts me at another dilema - WHICH ONE!!!

Any thoughts?

Are those prices what you were quoted at Wolf. or are they from sites you found on line?
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 9:36 PM   #8
Administrator

propwash wrote:
Quote:
bmilhizer wrote:
Quote:

Any thoughts?

Are those prices what you were quoted at Wolf. or are they from sites you found on line?
Those are prices from A&M Photo World.Seethe warning in my previous post in thisthread(which has a link to another query about this dealer).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote