Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2004, 4:42 PM   #1

I am intrigued by the new X50. It is fast, small, and should be a super compact. Does the size and speed give away too much in picture quality to a Canon or other camera?
georgep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2004, 3:22 PM   #2

Mine just arrived in the mail, and I can say - without a doubt, it's compact and easy to use. I can also say that the CCD is noisy as hell. I think the only way to get passable images from this little camera is to set the ISO to 50 and leave it there. Auto ISO allows it to go from 50-160 in normal operation, and indoor shots are likely to sneak up to the top of the range. As nice a camera as it is physically, I'm not sure I'll be able to get over the image quality.

Curious? Think I'm too picky? Here's a sample, handheld, max res, high quality....the image is just part of the field, and the right is auto-iso, the left is 50 iso. Everything else was set to default. You make the call.
Attached Images

Overzeetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:15 AM   #3

Plus: I don't like the amount of CA produced by the X50. Go to the woods and take some shots.

I know what I'm talking about - I got a Minolta DiMage X20 ...

I saw sample pictures of sunlit trees done with an X50 - horrible!
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I can forget the X50. Will wait for news on the Panasonic DMC-FX7. It sounds promissing.
georgep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 3:47 PM   #5

georgep wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I can forget the X50. Will wait for news on the Panasonic DMC-FX7. It sounds promissing.
Yeah. The Leica lenses used by Panasonic do make a difference.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:18 PM   #6

I don't see a lot of CA (chromatic abberation, right?) in the few shots I've taken with the x50. I'll attach two more photos, (cropped and re-jpeg'd, sorry). The first is max optical + 2.2x digital zoom. Not really a good shot, but it has some high contrast transitions.
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:30 PM   #7

Here's the second one, a shot at the wide end of the zoom. There shouldn't be much CA at wide angles, but this photo pretty much proves it. This image has been cropped to eliminate unly-guy-in-the-foreground, which is not a charateristic of the lens ;-)

Oops. image was too big. Here's a blow up (photoshop, nearest neighbor, ~4:1) of part of the stadium stands on the opposite side of the field. Note the light/dark alternation of the seating edges and shadow lack chromatic fringing.

Don't trust the violet you see between the spectators with maroon shirts and white shirts as CA - the transitional pixels can be misleading.
Attached Images