Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:04 PM   #1

I have been taking photos for 42 years. And I have an wonderful opportunity to turn my hobby into a profession, and learn the skills, while earning an guaranteed income for thenext 10 months (severence package) . I have signed up for 4 digital courses starting this month at a photography college. But I will need a SLR digital camera for the next courses starting in Jan.

Camera timeline: first camera - bought with cereal box tops in ~1960 > Olympus OM1 35mm> Olympus OM10 35mm> Nikon 990 3.34mp> Canon PowerShot G5 5.0mp

But Ihad to returnmy notebook computer, printer & scanner & Fax when I lost my job. So I now have to buy my own system. And I have a $10,000 budget. ( I am currently using an old Win98 desktop PC with 10GB HD, which is only good for email & surfing www only. Doesn't even have a CD burner to save photos. YIKES!)

I want to take great commercial product photos for a fee, I want to sell stock photos which are very specialized in the industry I have worked in all my working life, and I want to be able to edit old photos & slides using PShop.

Here is what I have: Nikon 990 & slide copying adaptor/ Canon PowerShot G5 / Velbon686 tripod/

Here is what I need: Digital SLR camera / PC (notebook or desktop???) / printer / scanner

How should Ibest spend the $10,000?

deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2004, 1:56 PM   #2

get the canon i9900, it does 13 by 19 prints and in my opinion from my prints, the pictures come out better than the lab.
timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:18 PM   #3

Just a few thoughts, you plan to sell product/stock images why do you even need a scanner & printer? For starting up on a budget digital output on cd/dvd or by ftp should be all that is needed. If you do need a printer what volume and output size do you expect to produce? The epson 4000 is tough to beat as a small shop production printer, but is expensiveish.

Next you did not specify what kind of product you plan to shoot, tabletop? Huge industrial stuff? So it is hard to even begin matching equipment to the task.:?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:16 AM   #4

6-8 meg DSLR to go with your existing lenses if you have good glass!

if not:

KM 7D body(integral anti-shake)$1500

3 - 1 gig FAST CFII cards $450

80-200 f2.8 apo (used) $750

85 f1.4 $800

50 f1.4 $550

20 f2.8 $400

100 f2.8 macro $750

5600hs strobe $350

canon 9000series printer $450

3.0 mHz, 1024 ram, 300gig RAID mirrored HD, CD and DVD burners, integral 9 in 1 card reader, 1394 support, USB 2 inputs $1800

leaves about $2200for specific gear you WILL NEED BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT YET !

(second body, studio lights, etc)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5

AN old thread re-awakens :-),Deel never did come back to say what he did end up with.

Selecting lenses if you don't know their intended purpose is futile, but it is a nice way to make dreams.

I would now go with (and justmade the movemyself to a 64bit machine, 32bit is old and slow stuff :blah.

Forbusiness use the smallest format printer to get ultraGiclee (epsons version of the giclee)certification is the epson 4000.http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/pdf/...aseFinal_1.pdf

Peter.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:19 AM   #6

Easy question:

Nikon D200

MB-D200 battery pack (put extra Nikon battery in it)

3 = SB-800 speedlights (1 will do 98% of the time)

a pro-T or a press-T flash bracket (press-T is 2 inches shorter)

a Nikon SC-29 sync cord (Has auto focus eye built in)

a 18/200 "VR" lens (Excellent results all the time)

a camera bag and ( I use a Tamrac with wheels) "airline carry on size"

a light tripod. (I use a carbon fiber Gitzowith GITZOball head)

This is all I ever need to do weddings, portraits, pets, scenics, Groups,and outside sports and everything else I need to do.

I have other len's (50mm 1.4 & 85mm 1.8 that I never use at all anymore.

I also have Travel light 750 studio light setthat I very rarely ever use at all. ( The SB 800's are controlled wireless and do a very good job very easy when needed)

I used to lug around 50 or 60 pounds of Hasselblad equipment but it is all sold off because the Nikon Digital does a better photograph much cheaper, faster, and way much easier.

I do any type of photography requested except for underwater with only the equipment I have listed. Of course at times doing inside a condo and balancing light to get the ocean the same lighting as inside I may resort to 4 X 6 sheets of foamcore to bounce light around to even it out. A blanket on a window, some things you just have to improvise through experience and trial & error.

I hope this helps you decide.

My studio is my garage, My only advertising is word of mouth and I stay as busy as I want to be. Well, I do print out my own business cards with my price list on the back if someone asks for one.I also have a freeWeb site that I put My pictures I do for My Church functions on.(http://www.ronalduzzo.zoomshare.com)

Keep it simple and small and you will have a bunch of FUN while supplementing your your retirement check. Make it to big and you will start to hate it.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:41 AM   #7

Deel,
I suggest you post in DPReview's Pro Talk forum.
This kind of question pops up there regularly and you will get plenty of advice not only on equipment but most importantly on how to proceed to achieve your goals and what your chances of success are.
Good luck.
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:35 AM   #8

:-) You are answering a 2 year old post :-)

Now I'd be taking a close look at the first Sony DSLR and any future offerings from them.
There is a lot built in to that first body;
Image stabilization, self clean sensor, 10mp, about 20 Sony/Carl zeiss lenses available and the old konica-minolta lenses fit too. First body under 900$US.

IMHO Nikon/Canon better take Sonys entrance as a wake up call from the mediocre upgrades they have been releasing lately.

For printing, I've stopped home printing altogether and have jobbed out to a custom pro lab.
Lot less headaches and turning out to be cheaper in both time and materials.

Organization Member: NoBS, CPbN, GSt.
Club Member: CICC

Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:35 AM   #9

When changing the lens on any camera it is imperative that the camera be shut off and pointed down to avoid any dust or dirt sticking to the CCD or CMOS sensor. The electric field in the sensor will attract dirt like a magnet if left on. Turn the camera off and stay out of the middle of a dust storm when changing the lens and you will never have a dust on sensor problem.

Even a film camera will get dust in it if you are not cautious of the fact you can't change the lens on the beach on a windy day. Ever nitice a nice streight streak on a roll of negitives?

Still a good post even if it is old like ME!!!!:-)

Ronnie,

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:11 PM   #10

Ooops, didnĀ“t notice the 2004 post date ...

jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote