Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2004, 1:55 PM   #1

The most important features for me are image quality (obviously), big zoom, decent speed (I'm not a sports photographer but I don't wanna miss unique moments) and decent night capabilities (I plan to take lots of photos of concerts). I know the Canon is the only one with image stabilization which suposedly would put it on a different level than the others, but is it really that important or just a gimmick? :?:
insideabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:59 PM   #2

One other question: the Kyocera doesn't seem to have manual focus, so if the AF is having difficulties how can one correct that? :O
Old Sep 10, 2004, 5:11 PM   #3

No thoughts on any of these cameras? :evil:
Old Sep 10, 2004, 6:29 PM   #4

Dear Insideabubble,

Let me give you some insight and maybe you can give more details on what you are looking for. I just saw the Canon G6 and it looks good. I own a G1 and it was a great starter digital camera for me. I took some great pics. The G6 specifications are in Steve's Digicams review. Cost around $700. I am considering this one as a second camera (smaller size).I have the Nikon D70 digital/SLR which costes about $1,300, however it is not apoint and shoot. It has great options that you can grow into, that is what I am doing. I like the challenge. I hope I helped, there are some very knowlegeable people on this forum.

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 6:16 AM   #5

Nadia, I appreciate your suggestion and I just check the specs for the G6, but it's not what I'm looking for. It doesn't have the big zoom I'm looking for, and the 7Mp of the CCD makes it far more expensive than my budget. Thanks for the suggestion just the same!
Old Sep 11, 2004, 6:37 AM   #6

Check out the Panasonic FZ-20.

:homey:
bouncerbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 6:54 AM   #7

Also out of my budget, unfornatelly!
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:49 AM   #8

bouncerbenji: while checking for the Panasonic FZ20, I came across the FZ3 which seems pretty similar with the exception of being 3Mp, but it's within my price range... any idea of where I could find some reviews of that one online?
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:49 AM   #9
Administrator

I haven't seen any reviews of the FZ-3. Most vendors don't have any in stock yet.

I will caution you that your indoor concert photos may not be as good as expected with any of these models. You'll need to increase ISO speeds toreduce motion blur (otherwise, shutter speeds will be too slow indoors when outside of the flash range).

Increasing ISO speed will increase noise levels (similar to film grain, only worse). If the photos are going to be used for web size viewing at smaller sizes, or for smaller prints, you may find them to be OK (quality is subjective, so you'll have to make that determination).

However, I'd recommend buying whatever choice you make from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy -- just in case you're not satisified with the results.

You can also get somegood tools to reduce the appearance of noise. Here are 3 popular ones:

http://www.neatimage.com

http://www.picturecode.com

http://imagenomic.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 1:38 PM   #10

Jim: thanks for the detailed input! I imagined I'd have those problems with concert photos, but since I won't be printing them (at least not on large prints), I think I can workaround the noise issue with neatimage (which I already use).