Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2004, 6:44 PM   #1

Hi dudes,
I have a kodak DC4800 currently and am thinking of a upgrade.

My question is ,Is it better to buy a used DSLR(olympus E-100RS) or a new prosumer(FZ-10K,S5000).

Assume the that the used thing is fully functional.

My budget is 400$ which is why the DSLR is from ebay etc.
If u have any other suggestions let me know.

Thanks
bala
kentuckybala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:23 PM   #2
Administrator

Bala:

The E-100RS isa verynice camera for outdoor sports, thanks to it's incredibly fast capture rate (up to 15 frames per second)and stabilized lens with a focal range of 38-380mm.

If I needed to take photos of an outdoor sporting event for a web site (versus larger prints), and could find one at a good price, it would be high up on my list.

However, it is a small sensored 1.5 Megapixel Camera. It's also not an interchangeable lens camera,doesn't have an optical viewfinder like you'd findin a true DSLR, and it's ISO speed is limited to 400. Basically, it's not a DSLR (although I have seen it classified that way before).

You may want to let users know what your intended use is for a camera. What are you going to be taking photos of, in what lighting conditions, and how large do you need to print?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:03 PM   #3

Jim,

As for shooting condintions,Im going to use these at parties(low light), trips to theme parks and general photography whenever I feel like.Not much of sports events,however there have been times at parties when i have missed the moment caus my DC4800 was thinking about focussing.

So the E-100Rs is the older cousin of the FZ-10 and not a true DSLR?

I print my photos mostly at 4*6 and some at 8*10(I burn my photos on CD's nowadays).

The fact that I evenconsidered DSLR was that their CCD's are touted to be better than prosumer stuff and so on.interchangeable lenses,i dont really care.

Are there any prosumer class cameras having DSLR class CCD's on them?

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Let me know

Bala

Old Sep 16, 2004, 2:49 AM   #4
TC3

Have you thought of waiting a few months until you can get more cash and maybe go for this

http://www.dcviews.com/press/Pentax-ist-Ds.htm
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5
Administrator

kentuckybala wrote:
Quote:
So the E-100Rs is the older cousin of the FZ-10 and not a true DSLR?
Basically, yes (although it is a very nice camera).The E-100RSusing a very tiny 1/2" 1.5 Megapixel CCD, and is not a true DSLR.

Quote:
I print my photos mostly at 4*6 and some at 8*10(I burn my photos on CD's nowadays)
For 4x6" prints, something like the E100RS would be fine. For 8x10" prints, you'd be pushing it. Your existing Kodak would provide far more detail at larger print sizes (unless you were shooting in conditions that the long stabilized lens on the E-100RS could take advantage of).

Quote:
Are there any prosumer class cameras having DSLR class CCD's on them?
No. The problem is that a much larger CCD (as found in DSLR models) would requiremuch larger lenses to duplicate the focal range you have in some of the prosumer class cameras.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:54 AM   #6

Hi ,
thanks for ur replies.have been busy for a few days,which is why the slow response.

TC3 -*ist DS -drool factor 100%,looks solid,maybe will save up like u said(depends on prices after the initial wave settles down).

I have a better idea though,about things.

My DC4800 is very noisy (at iso 100),which is one of the reasons im focussing on the sensor's.

bala
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:51 PM   #7
TC3

Yeah the ist Pentax are about to release does look good don't it
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote