Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:59 PM   #1

I'd been reviewing the different ultra-zoom cameras available and had basically narrowed down to the Canon S1 IS. However, I now see that Konica Minolta has recently released the Z3. The cameras looked fairly similiar in features and I'm just wondering what thoughts people had regarding the 2? Canon is a brand that I'm aware of but less familiar with Konica Minolta.

Thanks in advance.
VancouverMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:52 PM   #2

The list of reported Z3 problems is rather extensive...from lock ups to banding etc. Perhaps KM will eventually iron out the bugs. Perhaps. They are not the most reponsive company. I think the Z3 was rushed to market before it was ready. At any rate, that's my reading based upon reports from many others..not from personal experience. The S1 needs an upgrade to compete. Perhaps that will happen soon. The wide angle coverage is limited. Wait for Photokina. Look at the Panasonic competition, as well.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:57 PM   #3

I was debating the exact same thing - I had narrowed it down to those two.

The things that swayed me to the Z3, which is what I bought, are briefly listed here:
  • higher maximum optical zoom [/*]
  • higher pixel maximum [/*]
  • fixed LCD (I do not like the swing-out ones, as they are vulnerable to serious damage) [/*]
  • reviews gave the Z3 better low-light results[/*]
These reasons led me to choose the Z3.

I have read about some people' complaints about it, but I can tell you I myself have almost no complaints whatsoever. There are limitations to any camera, and you learn what they are and how to compensate for them.The quality and performance of the Z3 really impresses me, given what class it is in and what price it goes for. I have never had the 'lock-ups' that others have, nor the 'stuck-pixel' that someone complained about.

If you want to take a look at reviews & sample images, Steve's Digicams (this website) has finally done a review on it, and he seems to give it two thumbs up.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:17 AM   #4
TC3

Steve actually says the camera is a "mixed bag" and i do not call that 2 thumbs up:roll:

DanielT2 wrote:
Quote:
I was debating the exact same thing - I had narrowed it down to those two.

The things that swayed me to the Z3, which is what I bought, are briefly listed here:
  • higher maximum optical zoom [/*]
  • higher pixel maximum [/*]
  • fixed LCD (I do not like the swing-out ones, as they are vulnerable to serious damage) [/*]
  • reviews gave the Z3 better low-light results[/*]
These reasons led me to choose the Z3.

I have read about some people' complaints about it, but I can tell you I myself have almost no complaints whatsoever. There are limitations to any camera, and you learn what they are and how to compensate for them.The quality and performance of the Z3 really impresses me, given what class it is in and what price it goes for. I have never had the 'lock-ups' that others have, nor the 'stuck-pixel' that someone complained about.

If you want to take a look at reviews & sample images, Steve's Digicams (this website) has finally done a review on it, and he seems to give it two thumbs up.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

I'm in the same boat. When the Z3 came out I thought that was the camera for me and almost bought one immediately. I'm now glad thatI didn't. After reading all the fourm talk for the past few weeksI was still undecided so waited for Steve's review. When he did review it recently, itwasn't positive enough for me to get one. I've compared photos of it and the S1 and although it appears they were taken under different out door lighting conditions, the S1 pics sure lookmore vibrant and overall better. RecentCanon firmware upgrades have fixed most of the user complaints as well. So now I am awaiting the Photokina which everyone here always mentions and see if something better is released. If not, then it for sure will be the Canon S1.My priorities are: 10X or more zoom w/image stabilization, canon quality pictures, 30 fps 640X480 movie mode and I would love to see a larger LCD!

pete
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 1:06 PM   #6

These two are my choices as well. If shooting moving kids from far away is important to me, which camera would be better? I realize the inherent limitations of shutter lag and "following" the subject on screen prevent either one from being better than a digital SLR, but that stabilized super-zoom is very attractive; plus I don't want to spend a $1000.

Would the Z3 be better in this regard? The 4mp vs. 3mp doesn't seem to hurt either.
buderudtud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:11 PM   #7

VancouverMike wrote:
Quote:
I'd been reviewing the different ultra-zoom cameras available and had basically narrowed down to the Canon S1 IS. However, I now see that Konica Minolta has recently released the Z3. The cameras looked fairly similiar in features and I'm just wondering what thoughts people had regarding the 2? Canon is a brand that I'm aware of but less familiar with Konica Minolta.

Thanks in advance.
Did you look at the Panasonic FX15 or 20? I've heard some reasonably good things about these in comparison to the Z3, although I can't provide any good comparison myself, just another camera to look at (I'm making the same decision myself).
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 7:31 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the comments; appreciate the thought about waiting for Photokina but then there is always something better and shinier being released, just have to wait for it and have the $s to spend. Basically think the S1 IS is the way to go. Currently have a Kodak 3.1 megapixel and I'm more than happy with the pic/print quality (max 8x10) so not too concerned with that aspect. Plus can get it through a rewards program so no actual cash outlay required beyond those already spent.

Again, thanks everyone.
VancouverMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:27 AM   #9

As far as I can see, there is only one huge advantage to the KM Z3, and that is its responsiveness: quick start up and quick autofocus. Most of the other positives and negatives are the kind of thing most people will not notice often, and most photographs not show.

There were bugs in the Canon too, on first release, and Canon issued a firmware update pretty sharpish. Given that, no doubt Minolta will do likewise.
hdburnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 3:55 PM   #10

@ VancouverMike:
Why not go for the Panasonic FZ3?
Look!
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote