Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2004, 5:31 PM   #11

that does help. Sounds like I should have bought the body only, but they were hard to find, and I actually made a deal for one in a trade. So you think the SB800 would be a better deal than the SB600?

which Sigma lens should I be looking at? Maybe I can Ebay the nikon lens. What about Tamron lens?
Ghostinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:59 PM   #12

I have to say that I don't know what I am doing, yet with the SB 800 I have had good luck with little thought to what I am doing.:? I use aperture mode and set the SB 800 on aperture. In automatic it works great also. I invested in the SB 800. I am now saving for a better lens, more zooming capability. Don't get me wrong I still have great pictureswith the D70 lens kit. Just relax and enjoy the journey. Tap on the good advice in this forum. You have a great camera.
Attached Images

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:47 AM   #13

Nadia, would you mind taking a picture of something using the built in flash and the same picture using the 800. I would be curious to see the difference, not that I don't believe there is a difference, but seeing the evidence first hand will help me convince myself that my new $1300 camera requires are $350 flash.:shock: I just hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew.:? If it is easier, i can post my email to send them there.

I appreciate all the positive advice and suggestions I have gotten here.

In an seperate question. Does anyone use a handstrap or something for thier camera. The Nikon strap that came with it is a bit short and uncomfortable anyway. I find myself taking it off my neck and wrapping it around my hand a couple of times. Not only does this look corney, but the strap gets in the way. Do they make a quick release system that allows you to switch back and forth?

ps-your daughter is a cute one, how old is she?

Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:54 AM   #14

Dear Ghostine,

I took these outside, at night, of a white rose. I was about ten feet away. With the SB 800 the rose was over exposed. I did not change position or settings. I was impressed by the fact that the camera even with the built in light did such a good job with the pictures at night.

The picure I took was my niece who is a big ham and is 2 years old. She is always wanting her picture taken.

By the way I thought I bit off more than I could handle, but there is a learning curve and you have to experiment and you will become part of the camera. That is you will know what you need to do to get the effect you want. I can hardly wait for the weekend to play.

Let me know where you end up with your decision.

Have a good day,

Nadia

Attached Images

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:47 PM   #15

Okay, I am going to buy one. I have ruled out the local stores. We don't have many, and I have gotten prices from $345 to $425. I can find them on ebay for $325, brand new. Any other ideas where to shop?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 5:10 AM   #16
NHL

You guys might check into the Sigma, it's considerably more affordable and now comes with i-TTL:
http://www.sigma-photo.com/html/news/500dg_super.htm

... although it doesn't look like the wireless feature is supported with Nikon (it does in Canon/Minolta), one can still slave this flash to any other flash wirelessly with full-control :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 7:48 AM   #17

Having looked at the range of Sigma lenses, going back to your question of a while back, there isn't one that has the same range as the Nikon 17/55 F2.8. If flash is permitted in the church, then your existing lens will do for all you need, or perhaps the Sigma flash as mentioned above. Sigma do a 17/35mm F2.8 lens, which equates to 26/52 in film camera terms, but you existing lens is 18/70, which is 27/105 equivalent, so you will lose a lot at the zoom end. Tamron on the other hand do a 28/75 F2.8 lens for Nikon fit at a reasonable price of abot £180 or $325, which unless you want big prints should produce perfectly adequate images. I think we get carried away these days with tests and reports which really have no bearing on the photography that most of us do. It is F2.8 and while you will lose the wide angle you will be able to use the zoom at F2.8 which you can't now. But it is $1000 cheaper than the Nikon lens!

Best of luck with your choice, but I emphasise that with the SB800 all photos are possible with your existing lens, if it is permissible to use it, so don't waste money unneccessarily.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:47 AM   #18
NHL

FYI http://www.sigmaphoto.com/Html/pages/18_50_EX_DC.htm

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote