Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:11 PM   #1

I've been looking at several cameras, including newer 8MP models which seem not to be ready for prime time...so I'm moving down the MP ladder a bit at 3.2-6 MP cameras..mainly ones with some significant zoom and (hopefully) IS.

I will probably use for primarily family pictures, but I get out now and again to take some nature shots, macros (butterflies, flowers) and would like to capture great pictures at a distance.

I was looking at the cameras in the subject - the Canon Powershot IS, Fuji S7000 and Minolta Z3. Then ran across several folks who seem to really like the Panasonic FZ10, 15/20. Turns out I can get a FZ20 for $480. Looking at the other cameras the price range is almost the same but the Canon minus about $100.

I'm at this point leaning towards the FZ20, but I haven't seen any "professional" reviews yet, just opinions. One thing that worries me is the size/weight of the camera, but I think compared to the Fuji S7000 it's smaller.

The two things taht turn me off about the Fuji S7000: 6MP but only with the highest compression and a fairly loud zoom lense.

Was looking at CAMEDIA as well (770) but these offer no IS, which is what would sway me towards a Panasonic.

Any advice/opinions comparing these cameras?
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:12 PM   #2

Hey luckycat,

I am waiting for the fz2o because I have read a number a positive reviews regarding the features and upgrades from the fz10. If you wouldn't mind sharing, where are you getting it for $480?

Thanks.
sharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:45 PM   #3

From everything I've read the FZ20 is a great camera. However, these have been just tidbits here and there, opinions of folks, etc., no solid reviews yet. Specs look great, and if the FZ10 and FZ3 are any indication FZ20 could be a great device. I'll wait a few weeks till they are available, and hopefully read some in-depth reviews.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:48 PM   #4

Oh and on the $480...don't know if that is true or not, but I'm looking into it. At least I know I can get one for $519 from a http://www.nightowlcamera.com . They are taking pre-orders now. I refuse to pay CC for the convenience of local pickup an extra $80 or whatever.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 4:48 PM   #5

I have had my FZ20 for about a week now, and it is GREAT!!!

I had a Canon S1 IS, a Sony CiberShot W-1, and a Canon A85. I returned the Sony because it was defective, and got the Canon S1 IS. It was a good camera, but had some focusing issues (no focus assist lamp). It took good pictures as well.Within a week or so it smelled like the electronics was heating up and shortly after the display started to flicker. So I took it back and got the Canon A85. It took fair pictures, but felt very cheaply built, and had 2 bright spots in the bottom of the display. So I took it back with the intention of giving up and just getting my money back.

I took one last look at the selection before making up my mind to give up or not. There happened to be a knowledgable sales guy in the camera section who showed me the FZ20. He let me go on the wweb at the store to do a little quick research, and I found no negative opinions. Looking at the camera, it seemed to be very well built, and felt good in my hand. I decided to give it one more try with the FZ20.

Well... let me tell you...

I can get a clear shot off in just about any lighting conditions. Even indoors in a dimly lit room with no flash. It focuses quickly and just about every time. From the macro mode to the end of the optical zoom, I have gotten clear shots, and even at the end of the digital zoom have gotten good shots with no tri-pod. With a tri-pod ya cant miss.

I have not tried the night stuff, or the action stuff yet, and am still learning to start using the manual settings (in which there are plenty). The lense on this camera is uncomparable to any cameras under $1,000.00, or maybe even higher.

I hope this helps...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:22 AM   #6

The FZ20 manual is here:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../DMCFZ20pp.PDF

br,

lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:59 PM   #7

Thanks, Lindo, this is useful to me.

I would love to buy this F20... I am using now an Olympus C-2100, what I love.

Reading the manuals... is a good way to know something about the F20.

However, I would like to find a real reviw of it somewhere...

Thanks,

Tamas
Tamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:03 AM   #8

Yes bobc, it helped...

Tamas
Tamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 6:02 PM   #9
eal

I was in the same boat, being a c2100 user; but after one day of shooting, I'm very happy with the fz20. It is the perfect upgrade.

eal
eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:05 AM   #10

I love hearing that since my FZ20 is being delivered today.

My C-2100 has treated me well through the years and has been a wonderful camera.
uscboy is offline   Reply With Quote