Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:01 PM   #1

I'm looking for a better quality digital camera that will allow me to take spur-of-the-moment shots of my kids, as well as travel pics. Here are my criteria:

--I'll need either a good zoom (more than 3x optical) or a higher resolution so I can crop to my intended subject
--FAST startup and FAST shutter lag are extremely important. Try getting a two-year-old to slow down!
--Most pictures are outdoors, I've learned they always turn out better, no matter what.
--The smaller the camera, the better, but it will be carried in a bag, so this is low priority
--Must Have Movies! My husband carries his JVC HD Camcorder everywhere, but I also enjoy a bit of short video. 640x480 30fps is a must.
--Multi-point autofocus, preferably more than 3 autofocus points seem pretty necessary, in my experience. I use autofocus almost exclusively, so this feature better work well.
--A Wide angle lens attachment, or fish-eye lens, would be a big bonus. We're taking a trip to Thailand next month, and this would sure come in handy. I love my 28mm lens for my Canon SLR.

I just got turned on to the Sony Cybershot by reading Steve's review of the P93. I hadn't previously thought the Sony's had much to recommend them.

I saw and played with a Minolta Z3 in a local shop, and was FASCINATED with the super ultra fast machine gun shooting (or whatever it was called). That feature is ideal for capturing a young child's smile. The sound effect alone would probably make them smile

My Canon S40 just broke, and I was continually frustrated by the shutter lag and slow startup on this camera. Otherwise, it was very nice. But I did have problems adjusting to the autofocus, despite all kinds of trying. But now it's time to start again.

For examples of the pictures (and movies) we tend to take, look at our website: www.suthard.com

Your thoughts, please? Thanks in advance,
Holly.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:50 AM   #2

I'll add that I really don't want another Canon. And we'll be using points to buy, so the price isn't as big an issue as it would be otherwise.

I had read the Nikon anti-red-eye technology was pretty good, too, but didn't think they'd be fast enough for me.

Thanks, Holly.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:33 PM   #3

OK . . . talking to myself here . . . I went to Best Buy and looked at the Sony cameras. The guy there complained of problems with returns of the Sony plastic lenses and short battery time. And the W1 seemed to be a battery hog with that huge viewfinder.

And then I looked at a gallery of pictures of Z3 images, all of which seemed a bit washed out. I read of white balance issues, which seem to be surmountable. But that's the most expensive camera of the group.

What to do, what to do? Help, anyone?!
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:10 PM   #4

Hi, I am looking for a camera just like the one you are looking for...after I did some research...I have narrow down to G400 and coolpix 5200, I haveplayed my friend'sNikon coolpix 5200, and it has fast startup and fast shutter lag. I love it. But I asked a lot of people, and they said they would recommend the G400 than the CP 5200, I haven't had the chance to play with the G 400, but they said it's faster and the picture quality is better. Well, it's just my opinion, your choice.

Clara
claraliang13 is offline   Reply With Quote