Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:29 AM   #1

Had pretty much decided to wait for the fz20, til I saw the $150 rebate on the 5700 (gets it down to ~$450). Very tempting to go with the Nikon simply for the availability, but would greatly appreciate any advice or opinions.

Thanks....

Clint
raw_hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2004, 2:06 PM   #2

I have both cameras but enjoy the Panasonic more. The Panasonic has a great lense at 38-432mm along with Image Stabilization. The Nikon does take amazing pictures with awesome color quality but the Panasonic is not too far behide when it comes to picture quality. The Nikon is good if you are taking nature or landscaping pictures. It does not have IS so it's better to use with a tripod. It's also not a very fast camera and doesn't do too well in low light situations. The Panasonic, however, is great for sports and fast paced subjects. The Nikon can be difficult to use as you have to read the manual to learn how to use all of it's fuctions. I have had my Nikon for a year and a half now, and every once in awhile I have to go back to the manual because I forget how to set some of my setting. The Panasonic is more user friendly and I have not yet had to read the manual to learn how to use it. Everything is pretty self explanatory with the Panasonic.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"FYI, I had alot of problems with my Nikon when I first purchased it and had to return it 2 times before I found one that worked correctly. About 6 months later I had problems with the lense and had to take it to the Nikon Service Dept to get it fixed which in my opinion, I still have a problem with it, but now my warranty is out and it will cost to just have it looked at again. At the time I bought it, it was $899 and you would think for that price, you would have a flawless camera. I am much happier with my Panasonic.
ctomaselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 9:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, I was a little afraid of buying a 2+ year old camera, but the image quality and color of the Nikons can be awesome, as you pointed out. I guess I'll just have to be patient or shell out MSRP at CC for the fz20.

One quick question if you don't mind: How good/bad is the low light EV and LCD performance on the fz20, i.e. "gain up" or not, enough magnification in manual focus, etc.?

Thanks again,
Clint
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:36 AM   #4

Well the low light situation is probably the biggest problem most people have with the FZ10 or FZ20. It's impossible to use the camera manually in low light situations as you cannot view anything through the LCD or EVF. Your odds are better shooting in "P" mode in situations like that. But even in "P" mode, it's hard to see your subject, but that's in really low light situations. With either camera though, an external flash would be helpful if you are going to take a lot in indoor pictures or just low lit shots. Especially for the Nikon, it doesn't do well in low light unless your subject is right in front of you and of course, a tripod helps considering there is no IS. I think the Panasonic takes a better picture when I take pictures of my kids playing inside the house. My Nikon just doesn't capture it as good as the Panasonic.

In my honest opinion, although I enjoy both cameras, I have to say Panasonic won my heart. It's just so much easier to use and understand than the Nikon. The Nikon 5700 is not built very well. So often I will be taking a picture and I might accidently hit one of the buttons on the side of the camera and next thing you know, I'm waiting 20 seconds for the picture to download because I accidently set it to RAW. The buttons on the side is very inconvenient. It's just a very complex camera but is awesome if you can learn all it's manual features.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:40 AM   #5

Oh, by the way, I'm not sure how you feel about buying cameras online but someone mentioned that the FZ20 is at http://www.nightowlcamera.com/for $519 and also at Sparco.com for $519. I also believe they do not charge sales tax. FYI
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:14 PM   #6

Thank you very much, great info.

I feel fine about online buys, as a matter of fact I saw the nightowl deal a couple of days ago, but I believe they are preorder only right now, expected in ???

Now to complicate matters I'm looking at the Canon G6, no big zoom but otherwise looks like a lot of camera for the money.

Also, new Nikons are coming soon? 8400 and 8800 I believe, might do well to wait a little longer, but thanks again for your input, the FZ20 is still the strongest on my list.

Clint