Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:09 PM   #1

im plannin to buy a digicam for the 3rd time .

i had a nikon 4300 , but sold it coz the lens had broken . i loved the camera n the pic quality but it was too slow in takin pics .

then i purchased p72 , its pretty fast n produces good pics except for red which it over exposes

now i wanted to buy the

canon A95

like - manual controls (to which i could grow into and the nikon manual controls were pretty tough) , swivel lcd ,compact flash memory which is much cheaper than memorystick , outhere atleast

dislike - come wid alkaline batteries , thats all i can thin of

sony W1

like - 2.5inch lcd , some maula controls n heard alot about its speed ( shot-shot and start up )

dislike - not many manual controls

For me size doest matter , it is the pic quality n speed (shot - shot time and start - up) and it should be somewat durable (as i broke the lens of the nikon i had owned) . ill be basically usin the camera for indoor pics of parties n family get togethers . n sometimes of landscape n beaches .....

so which camera do ya suggest i should purchase dependin on my criteria

i have heard outt here that the A95 havin the same size of the ccd as the A80 n havin more pixel will produce a more noisy pic , is this true ???

so which camera do ya suggest i should go for ??? W1 , A95 , A85 , A80 , P600 or any other which ya thin would fit my criteria

OUT OF THE STUFF I HAVE RITTEN ABOVE SOME I HAVE HEARD AT THE DISCUSSION FORUMS N REVIEWS . I HAVE PERSONALLYNOT USED ANYONE OF THESE DIGICAMS , except for the W1
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:33 AM   #2

plz someone tooh reply

need to buy one soon n not sure which one to buy , so any help would be worth it
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:38 AM   #3

hey common ppl , someone plz give some suggestions man

Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:23 PM   #4
Administrator

aman wrote:
Quote:
For me size doest matter , it is the pic quality n speed (shot - shot time and start - up) and it should be somewat durable (as i broke the lens of the nikon i had owned) .
Any camera can break, and all of them will need to be handled with some amount of care.

Quote:
i have heard outt here that the A95 havin the same size of the ccd as the A80 n havin more pixel will produce a more noisy pic , is this true ???
Not always. In the case of the Sony 4MP 1/1.8" CCD (as used in the A80), versus the Sony 5MP 1/1.8" CCD (as used in the A95), I'd tend to agree that the 4MP CCD has less noise as ISO speeds are increased.

Interestingly, the newer 7MP 1/1.8" CCD seems to have less noise than the 5MP 1/1.8" CCD, based on images I've seen so far (from the Canon G6 and Sony DSC-P150), even though the size of the photosites has decreased. So, some improvements have been made in either the CCD Design, in camera processing of the images, or both. It's probably a combination of both (with noise reduction playing some role, too).

Quote:
so which camera do ya suggest i should go for ??? W1 , A95 , A85 , A80 , P600 or any other which ya thin would fit my criteria
It sounds like you've got a good idea of what you like and dislike about some of these models.Read the reviews here, and pay close attention to the review conclusion sections. This is where you'll see things discussed like startup times, cycle times, flash range, etc.

Nobody can make the decision for you. You'll need to decide which one fits your needs best. Also, any opinions you get from forum members here are likely to be biased, including mine. So, take them with a "grain of salt"

In addition to the reviews here, you may also want to look at a photo sharing web site like pbase.com. They've got a camera database that lets you see photos from most camera models taken by their members. But, keep in mind that the photographer's skill, and the lighting conditions have more to do with getting good photos than anything else. So, try to find photos in the conditions you'll be taking them in more often when comparing images. Most camerasdo well in good light (but in poor light, you start to see more of the differences).

Here is the link to the camera database:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 4:01 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like you've got a good idea of what you like and dislike about some of these models.Read the reviews here, and pay close attention to the review conclusion sections. This is where you'll see things discussed like startup times, cycle times, flash range, etc.

yeh i did read the conclusions , but i have read performances from many other sites too like - imaging-resource , dpreview , megapixel n dcresource and im havin a tough time . coz one site sayz some diff time will the other say some diff , so for a newbie like its abit diff .

but wat do ya thin which one will be able to take good pics (outdoor as well as indoor) , and would also have fast start up n shot - shot times , it should be abit durable also --- like i kept my 4300 in my bagpack , n unfortunate the bag fell n it damaged the cam lens , i mean durable in that sense that it should be able to withstand atleast that much strain

hey sorry for the inconviences man , coz i want to make a perfect choice this time
Old Sep 24, 2004, 6:42 AM   #6
TC3

aman wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:

yeh i did read the conclusions , but i have read performances from many other sites too like - imaging-resource , dpreview , megapixel n dcresource and im havin a tough time . coz one site sayz some diff time will the other say some diff , so for a newbie like its abit diff .

but wat do ya thin which one will be able to take good pics (outdoor as well as indoor) , and would also have fast start up n shot - shot times , it should be abit durable also --- like i kept my 4300 in my bagpack , n unfortunate the bag fell n it damaged the cam lens , i mean durable in that sense that it should be able to withstand atleast that much strain

hey sorry for the inconviences man , coz i want to make a perfect choice this time
There is no perfect camera so how can you make a perfect choice? All cameras have good and bad points so you will just have to pick one and go for it...just like the rest of us.

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 8:08 AM   #7

TC3 wrote:
There is no perfect camera so how can you make a perfect choice? All cameras have good and bad points so you will just have to pick one and go for it...just like the rest of us.

i meant perfect choicedependin onmyrequirementsonly , and they are the basic ones