Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1
J

My comparison (all these parameteres are relative):

S1 IS

+ less noise; rechargable AA batteries; articulated LCD; CF cards; better movie mode

- no AF-assist lamp; some lack of sharpness; small LCD; difficulties on focusing; starting to show its age; 10 cm Macro

FZ3

+ 12x zoom; overall better quality (sharper) pictures, although more noisy; newer model; 5 cm Macro

- basically, the opposite of Canon's pluses, including .mov videos, SD cards, etc.

Pleaseadd your contribution based on your knowlegde and experience for making this a more complete list and thus helping me decide between these two cameras.

Thank you

J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2004, 7:16 PM   #2

One correction: the 10 cm macro range on the S1 is measured from the CCD, which means in reality the distance between the subject and the lenses is smaller than that - I took some macros yesterday at about 4 cms.

Also, IMO the Canon is much better looking than the FZ3, but that's obviously a matter of personal taste.
insideabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:12 PM   #3
J

insideabubble wrote:
Quote:
One correction: the 10 cm macro range on the S1 is measured from the CCD, which means in reality the distance between the subject and the lenses is smaller than that - I took some macros yesterday at about 4 cms.

Also, IMO the Canon is much better looking than the FZ3, but that's obviously a matter of personal taste.
Thanks for that info.

If you could show me a picture taken at those 4 cm, I'd appreciate.

About the looks, they're not that important to me, although I agree with you.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:43 PM   #4

I just went through the same grueling process, and chose the FZ20.

Why? I personally like a camera with more 'bulk', the Canon just seemed to small for my hands. AF assist lamp, 5MP vs. 3 MP (although perhaps a bit more noise but nothing that is going to bother me). And the glowing reviews of FZ10/15/20 users in other forums. Since I haven't seen any "pro" reviews of the FZ20 (at least not on this site, no Steve Conclusions yet), we'll see how much "noisier" they might be. FZ3 got a pretty good review, generally speaking.

I wasn't too concerned about the lower resolution of the movie mode, which I don't use often (I have a Canon S30 now), but think having 30 fps is more important to me than 640x480 (just comparing with my current Canon, not the IS which is I belive 640x480 30 fps). "Proprietary" batteries never bothered me with my S30, and with my spare for the Panasonic I'll never run out of juice based on my usage patterns.

I think either camera would be great, I think if going for light weight convenience the Canon wins.

PS I think the Panasonic camera looks pretty cool.

luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:44 PM   #5

Sorry just realized you were looking at the FZ3... some of my prior comments apply, but obviously FZ20 <> FZ3. So, disregard my comments!
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:18 PM   #6

J wrote:
Quote:
insideabubble wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for that info.

If you could show me a picture taken at those 4 cm, I'd appreciate.

About the looks, they're not that important to me, although I agree with you.
Here it is, taken at about 5cm:

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0255503101/img_0136.jpg
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:26 PM   #7
J

insideabubble wrote:
Quote:
Here it is, taken at about 5cm:

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0255503101/img_0136.jpg

Thank you!

I guessthat's a bit too much for the camera, as the focusing isn't quite spot on... Don't you agree?

PS.: És português...?

Old Sep 21, 2004, 7:39 PM   #8

sou sim!

And you're right, the closest the camera should be from the subject is probably 6 cm, + or -. I didn't notice the softness until I full-viewed it.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 5:37 AM   #9

Three quick things to add:
  • The FZ has a faster lens, important for action and low-*********s.[/*]
  • Noise is less of an issue when you print your pictures, as opposed to viewing them on screen.[/*]
  • On the other hand, I've heard very good things about the Canon's movie mode, if that's important to you.[/*]
hdburnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 5:04 PM   #10
J

insideabubble wrote:
Quote:
sou sim!

And you're right, the closest the camera should be from the subject is probably 6 cm, + or -. I didn't notice the softness until I full-viewed it.

Óptimo! Onde é que me aconselhas a comprar uma máquina digital aqui em Portugal? Eu tenho andado a ver os sites da pixmania e da nomatica e parecem-me ser os melhores negócios. Alguma sugestão?

Obrigado desde já por tudo.

hdburnham wrote:
Quote:
Three quick things to add:

• The FZ has a faster lens, important for action and low-*********s. [/*]
  • Noise is less of an issue when you print your pictures, as opposed to viewing them on screen. [/*]
  • On the other hand, I've heard very good things about the Canon's movie mode, if that's important to you.[/*]
Thanks.

The movie mode is important for me, but not that much.

What stillkeeps me back from buying the FZ3 is the noise, which seems to be Panasonic's biggest "down". I do care about viewing them on the screen.