Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:24 PM   #1

I am very new to cameras, let alone digital cameras. I am a Software Developer by profession, and never got into taking pictures or anything. I know a little about computer graphics from doing web development, but nothing about photography. I have recently got the erge to get a digital camera. So I went to a couple of stores and was bombarded with confusion. All the features, settings, mega pixels, zooms, and all of which I know nothing about.

So I started to do some research on these things, read some reviews, and went back to the store to pick out a camera.

My first choice was the Sony Ciber Shot W1. It took good pictures, felt pretty sturdy, and had a 2.5 inch display. Within a week, the menu started displaying all by itself. Not all the time but it happened several times. So I took it back and exchanged it.

I got the Canon S1 IS. This camera was even better. It had a bigger zoom, and took good pictures as well. It was hard to focus in dim lighting, but it was a good camera. Well after about a week, I was taking some pics and it started to smell like electronics heating up, and shortly after the display started to flicker and get real bright then back to normal, and lines would apear and go away.

So back to the store I went and again exchanged the camera.

I got the Canon A85 this time. It took good pictures, but felt cheaply constructed, as well as having a little trouble focusing. It also had 2 bright spots at the bottom of the LCD. I don't know if it was a defect or just a cheap way to illuminate the LCD.

I returned it, using the bright spots as an excuse. At this point I was very frustrated, and had the intent of getting my money back and giving up on digital cameras. I went to the display and took one last look around. There was a sales guy in the display area that seemed quite knowledgable about the cameras, and he showed me the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 that just came in, and where not even on display yet.

He let me gon on the web at the store to do some quick research. I found no professional reviews, but found some specs, and user reviews. They where all good, so I decided to give it one more try with the FZ20.

This camera is great. It takes great pictures, focuses quickly and without any trouble even in very dim light, the zoom is out of this world, and I can get a fairly good shot at full digital zoom with no tri-pod in good lighting. Sure there may be other cameras with other features that this one does not have, but for me, this is the camera I like.

My point is... THERE IS NO PERFECT DIGITAL CAMERA!!!

Some are better than others, and they are continually coming out with bigger and better.

So...

Do some research, try out a few cameras at the store, do a little more research, find a camera that you like, and have fun taking pictures.

If you get deeper into photography and your camera needs more features, sell it on ebay and get a better one.

And...

Use these groups to do your research, and not to squbly about who has the PERFECT DIGITAL CAMERA!!!

I would like to thank Steve for providing this resource for us, as well as all the knowledgable people who are there to help others.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:23 AM   #2

bobc wrote:

Use these groups to do your research, and not to squbly about who has the PERFECT DIGITAL CAMERA!!!

I meant squabling... sorry...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:51 PM   #3
TC3

We are aware of the fact that there is no perfect digital camera but thanks for letting us know and advising us to check out these forums :roll:
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote