Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1

Greetings all,

I'm a happy owner of the Oly C-5050 but I'm looking for a smaller camera that I can keep with me for those classic photo op moments and has the following abilities:

1. is either a 5 or 6 megapixel camera
2. Good black and white photo abilities
3. CF or SD compatable
4. 3x zoom
5. about the size of the Minolta G500
6. minimal noise and good color reproduction
7. under 350.00 U.S. Dollars
8. from power on to 1st photo taken under 6 seconds

What do you suggest?

From,
Joe
JoeFBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:10 PM   #2

Greetings again all,

I bought the Canon A95 a couple days ago and am quite happy with it. It looks like it'll suit me quite well.

FRom,
Joe
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:36 PM   #3

Hi,

How does the image of the A95 in terms of white balance, noise, sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc. compare with the Oly 5050?

Thanks
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:40 PM   #4

Hi,

How does the image of the A95 in terms of white balance, noise, sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc. compare with the Oly 5050?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:59 PM   #5

Greetings,

I honestly think the Oly C-5050 has a beter color reproduction on certin colors However the over brightness most noticibly, Green and red on my old Oly seemed over saturated and to bright.

The vivid photo option on the A95 produces a nice, crisp even picture (resoltion and quality set to max).

I really haven't had to mess with anything on my A95 other than picture quality, resolution, ISO (which is kept at 50 for the most part) and the flash.

The body is quite strong and well designed but the CF cover could have been designed better. I accidently dropped the A95 off my computer desk and it works like a dream still (note: carpet on ground there).

The noise is the same with the C-5050 except in a dark room. and like the C-5050 I has to turn down the flash in a dim lit room.

I really wish this camera has at least three custom preset modes instead of one. I seem to remember the A85 having two. Just don't quote me on that.

Deleting pics is a lot easier than on my old Oly C-5050 and I like that auto mode quite a bit.

I really wish it had .tiff capabilities though like the Oly C-5050. Raw I can live without though.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

FRom,
Joe
Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:28 PM   #6

Joe,

Thank you for your response. It would really help me on my buying decision in the future. The reason I asked is I had my eye on the Oly 5050 before but ended up buying the Canon A80, of which I am pretty happy with by the way. The decision to buy the Canon being made with evaluating Steve's sample pics, particularly the school building; on which I found the image of the Canon A80 to be superior to the Oly, (my own opinion, of course.) Just had to ask a user of both Oly & Canon on how each performed in the real world.

Again, thanks,

William