Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:07 PM   #1

I need the help of those that have owned and used the Canon A95 or camera in that range.

Having toyed with the idea of a number of cameras, I'mnow leaning towards the A95 (for the reasons listed below.)

I am hoping this will be the last camera i set my sights on, so I can get this hell over with and just buy a damn camera:?.

I am looking not only for a camera that shoots good quality pictures in auto mode, but that also has full manual control (exposure, aperture, shutter, focus, white balance) and takes good quality pictures in manual mode.

I am little concerned about battery life and usage also. I uses 4AAs - how long does this last. Also is the thing fairly durable - I'm not going to drive over it or anything, but will it survive a night out in my pocket?

So to the A95 owners - what do you think of this camera with regards to the following (image quality, manual functions, battery life, size and durability).

If you don't like it, why? Also are there any other similar cameras that I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Martin.
incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:35 PM   #2

Martin,

Take it from a fellow UK buyer with a similar set of needs that getting to a "final" decision from advice hereis just the start of the *real* buying phase.

Some months ago I was looking to upgradeat a similar price point and camera type as yourself.

From reading reviews etc I was 90% sure I wanted a Fuji F700 which was, at the time, going to be above budget with the extra battery needed. Then the more I asked here (and other places) the more I got worried it had issues that would annoy me. So I started again.

Eventually I mail ordered a Sony P93 (from awebsite with a 14 dayexchange promise) after loads of researchbut was quite taken aback that Iwasunhappy about several aspects and sent it offfor exchange the next day. To be honest knowing what I know nowif I'dstuck with the P93 for 48hrsI mightstill have it now.

Anyway next I though I'd "play safe" and get the camera everyone said was the best in the pricerange for photo quality and facilities....the Canon A75.

Again I was a little unhappy with some aspects but thought it was so well spoken of I would get used to it and the results would be excellent.

Not so, after another couple of days I reaslised it suited me less than the P93, and the results in the circumstances I wanted to use it were quite poor at times.

So I returned that for a refund and stressed over what could possibly suit me. From another shop with a 30 day exchange and a price match promise I tried a Sony V1 at home for a weekend. Some great images but not easy enough to use and just too big.

Only now was I getting a real idea of what I *really* wanted from a camera andso was able to home in on what turned out to be the ideal one for me. A P12 which is the forerunner of the P100/P120.

What I'm trying to say is that you can get some great info here but at some point youshould get a camera to try at home and run 100+ shots from it in your usual circumstances.

After my experience I would never ever buy from anywhere that didn't offer at least a 14 day trial/exchange period.

In my case the online dealer was www.cameras2u.com...... the shop was Jessops.

Cameras2u were excellent on fast free delivery, good prices, no quibble exchange and prompt refund. Jessops were less impressive but still OK.

Good luck and domake sure you get a home trial.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:38 PM   #3

Thank you David.

You were in exactly the same situation that I am in now.

I think the home trila idea is great, and will definitely do it - it will be the only way I will be able to decide.

Just a question though - what did your home tests consist of - did you view the images via your computer or did you get them printed and assess them that way?

Thanks again.

Martin.

incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:45 PM   #4

Martin,

Home tests were a mixture of outdoor landscape/family and indoor flash house/family/dogs.

Did some outdoor tests on a tripod of a specific subject that showed up resolution, sharpness and purple fringing. Also an indoor testof the far endof our living room to check flash range/spread. And another indoor test of a large bookcase that showed if the image quality fell away at the corners as it showed up blurring of the book titles.

Didn't print any. Have my monitor balancecorrected to some quality prints that I judge to be accurate. Also find an image viewed "actual size" on the monitor is more of a harsh test than any size print I would make.

So you might assess how my thoughts relate to your needs....

I know what I like in an image. It needs to be sharp and pleasing to my eye, without any drastic exposure or colour balance issues. I get this result on virtually every shot from my current camera just left on Auto 95% of the time. Belowis an average example of the type of shot I take that I find acceptable.

Good luck in the final decision process!

David

Attached Images

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote