Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:14 PM   #11

Jon_Doe wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the Nikon is faster, but that's the only advantage. The Nikon shows noise like a consumer digital and not at all like the other 6 mp DSLR's. Plus it suffers excessive moire and tunneling. If you get the Rebel, do a search here and find the Russian software hack. It will restore most of the customized controls of the 10 D.
Huh? Noise - not from my experience. I find ISO1600 extremely useable.

Excessive moire - that's due to fine details exactly matching the sensor's resolving power, that happens 1 in a million shot. Very rare.

And tunneling? WTF I've never heard of this.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:43 PM   #12
Administrator

Jon_Doe wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the Nikon is faster, but that's the only advantage.
Well... it's also got spot metering, adjustable center circle size for center weighted metering, a faster flash sync, wireless control of off camera SB600 or SB800 flashes via it's built in flash,ability to use distance information for flash purposes when using compatible lenses (not that it needs it for most conditions), metering down to -1EV, fine tunable white balance,more customizable settings (for example: tone curves), finer adjustment of ISO speed, you can choose metering and focus modes the camera uses and have flash exposure compensation with no Russian Hack required...

Quote:
The Nikon shows noise like a consumer digital and not at all like the other 6 mp DSLR's.
Would you care to tell us what consumer camera has noise levels as low as the Nikon D70 -- especially as you increase ISO speeds? I'd like to see that one (especially if it's not softening the image so much you lose most of the detail when it does it). :-)

Yes, the Canon Digital Rebel does have an available ISO 100 option (and the D70 starts out at ISO 200). But, I personally don't see much difference in the photos at equivalent ISO speeds from images I've looked at. In fact, some tests show the D70 to have a finer grain noise pattern at higher ISO speeds, with a larger noise pattern from the EOS-300D. So, many users may prefer the noise pattern of the D70.

Both areexcellent values, and will be MUCH cleaner at higher ISO speeds compared to the "prosumer models".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:27 PM   #13

I had the DR and it was a very good camera. I upgraded to the 20D. I chose the DR originally because I could buy it and some lens for the price of the D70 or 10D. You could purchase the 10D body for about a hundred dollars more than the D70 body. I would rate the 10D camera as better than the D70. I learned over the last year that the cost of the camera body is not as large as the investment in lens and other accessories. If you like the Nikon lenses or the Canon then you should purchase the D70. I like the Canon lenes better than the Nikon, hence I have purchased Canon 20D
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote