Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:06 PM   #1

Pros? Cons?

i'm doing action photos of dogs doing agility. Regardless of owning lenses for one or the other already, which would you suggest?
woodala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:19 AM   #2

They are both very good cameras, but I think you should get the D70.

Personally, I dislike the DRebel because of the limitations it puts on you (It selects things for you, giving you less control than a SLR traditionally does.) I'm not Canon bashing, as I own the 10D.

I've generally heard good things about the D70.

Have you read the reviews of the DRebel? You should definitely do that, as the D70 is a much more flexable camera. For example, with the DRebel you can't pick the AF mode (focus tracking vs. static subjects) on the DRebel. This is done in combination of the "mode" you put the camera in. The same with metering modes.

But the big killer for you is the buffer depth. The DRebel can only store 4 frames in its buffer before you are locked out. The D70 can take MANY more than that. If you are going to take a series of shots of the dogs doing things, I don't think you'll find 4 pictures is enough.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3

Just thought I'd add my two cents. Every point Eric made is valid - but you also have to ask yourself if those items are going to be features you need as the Nikon is about 300 more. The Nikon D70 is really better compared to the Canon 10D not the digital rebel. The rebel sells for around $700, the Nikon for $1000 and the Canon 10D for $1100. So, if you want to compare Canon to Nikon it should be vs the 10D (which is being replaced by the 20D).

I am a Digital Rebel owner in the same place you were six months ago. To me, I was not advanced enough for the metering issues to be a factor and the 4 shot burst was OK with what I planned on doing.

Just some food for thought :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:33 PM   #4
Administrator

From my perspective, there's not really $300.00 difference in them, if you compare the list prices for the body.

You can buy the Nikon D70 body almost anywhere for $999.99 now (even at a retailer like Ritz).

At Ritz, the Canon Digital Rebel body is $899.99. So, there is only $100.00 difference in the bodies from a "full priced" retailer.

Now, to be fair, you can find some vendors discounting the Digital Rebel. For example, B&H has the Digital Rebel body only for $789.95 now.

Or, if you're willing to go with a non-stocking vendor that is only drop shipping from a distributor, you can find it for around $735.00 online (but make sure to check out return policies, restocking fees, and vendor reputations using http://www.resellerratings.com )

So, you could probably save around $265.00 buying the Digital Rebel over the D70 (comparing body only prices).

There would only be about $100.00 difference between them; except that hardly anybody is discounting the D70 yet (so you'll need to pay a full $999.90 for the body, or close to it), and most online vendors are discounting the Digital Rebel (so you can buy it for under $800.00 now from discounters).

Now, Canon does offer the Digital Rebel with a kit lens for around $100.00 more (or a little less with some discounters). But, I'd personally find the 18-55mm f/4-5.6 kit lens Canon offers to be too limiting (it would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of only around 29-88mm).

If it were me (and everyone has different needs for lens brightness, focal range, quality, etc.), I'd buy the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC lens with either camera (it's available in both Nikon and Canon mounts).

On the Nikon D70 (1.5x crop factor), this would give you a 35mm equivalent focal range of approximately 27-187mm. On the Canon Digital Rebel (1.6x crop factor), this would give you a 35mm equivalent focal range of approximatley 29-200mm.

My reasoning would be that this one lens would cover just about any focal length I'd personally need. It's not the brightest lens (but neither are the kit lenses offered by Canon or Nikon).

If I went with the Canon,I'd also geta 50mm f/1.8 for it, soI'd have a good existing light lens for indoors. You can get one for the Nikon or the Canon for under $100.00 almost anywhere. I've already got one for a Nikon (I've got a Nikon 35mm I shoot with).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:40 PM   #5
NHL

woodala wrote:
Quote:
Regardless of owning lenses for one or the other already
... this is the key though as it might add up to several times the cameras! :-):-):-)

Don't forget the accessories like the flash system too as you lock yourself down to a path where the cameras are like digital "emulsions" and likely to change every year... Look at all the Drebel/10D guys jumping ships
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:49 PM   #6
TC3

Alternativly wait a few months for the new Pentax ist ds to come out and compare it against the two you have chosen. It will be smaller and lighter then both the Canon and Nikon and it will interesting to see how it performs against them.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 2:21 PM   #7
NHL

... or the Minolta 7D with "anti-shake" -> extra saving on all the lenses!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:31 AM   #8

:?Before the D70 I used a F80 with var. lenses and SB-28 flash. I reccomend to you the Nikon D70 as I found it very useful and easy to use. There is a big range of adjustments to all functions. The camera is very reliable - always at imidiate use from pushing the on-button.

Only problem is if you expect to be able to use your old lenses in the same way you use to. You have to remember x1½ to the lense size. Ex. 28 mmwill be 42 mmwith the D70.

Same problem with the flash SB 28 - only to be used manual.

kind regards

Palle

Palle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:13 AM   #9

As a DReb owner, I will also recommend the D70 to you. If you were a portrait and fashion photographer, like myself, I'd recommend the DReb hands down. Since you specifically want the camera for action shots, however, the 4 shot buffer just won't do. With a 14 shot buffer at 3fps you can shoot away and increase the chance of getting a shot that you like. Better get a big CF card though...
jamison55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:56 PM   #10

Yes, the Nikon is faster, but that's the only advantage. The Nikon shows noise like a consumer digital and not at all like the other 6 mp DSLR's. Plus it suffers excessive moire and tunneling. If you get the Rebel, do a search here and find the Russian software hack. It will restore most of the customized controls of the 10 D.
Jon_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote