Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2004, 8:13 AM   #1

Hi,

Whats better, the D60 or the 300D?

As far as I can gather, the following are the differences:
- D60 has a more solid built than the 300D
- D60 lets you select metering modes
- 300D has 7-point focus while the D60 has 3-point focus
- Something about a DIGIC processor
- D60 writes faster to CF than 300D
- AF is better on 300D
- 300D's flash pops higher than the D60's

I am comparing these two because I can find them at the same price - a new 300D and a used D60 in good condition (at keh).

So what's a better choice?

Thanks,

Siddhartha
losttoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 8:52 AM   #2
Administrator

Siddhartha:

I don't know a lot about either camera.

If it were me, I'd go with the new EOS-300D over a used D60, for a few reasons:

* Warranty. Do you know how many shutter actuations there are on the used D60?

* It's a newer model, and Image Processing algorithms havebeen refined.

* It's a newer sensor design with better image qualty (IMO). It's got lower noise levels, and also gives you ISO 1600 capability (the D60 was limited to a maximum ISO speed of 1000).

* It can use the newer EF-S lenses

* It has a much better playback mode (up to 10x magnification the image you took in your display).

* FAT32 support (for Card Capacities over 2GB).

These are a few differences (I'm sure there are more). On the downside, Canon did not give the EOS-300D some of the features in the EOS-10D (for example: Flash Exposure Compensation, ability to select metering and focus modes, Mirror Lockup).

But, you may or may not need these features.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:07 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Siddhartha:

* Warranty. Do you know how many shutter actuations there are on the used D60?
Yep, I also read about that and its not very heartening.

Quote:
* It's a newer sensor design with better image qualty (IMO). It's got lower noise levels, and also gives you ISO 1600 capability (the D60 was limited to a maximum ISO speed of 1000).
IMHO, its the same 6.3MP CMOS sensor. No?

Quote:
Heheh ... i see that more as a limitation of the lenses. The 18-55mm fits only the 300D so if you bought another body or a Canon film SLR it would be useless.

Anyways, I plan to get the Sigma 18-125mm as I don't want to lug around lenses with me. It seems to have gotten good reviews for its price on the forum.

Thanks for the info,

Siddhartha
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:43 AM   #4
Administrator

losttoy wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:

Quote:
IMHO, its the same 6.3MP CMOS sensor. No?
No. Canon redesigned the sensor when they launced the EOS-10D. The EOS-300D/Digital rebel also uses the newer sensor (which is probably why it has lower noise levels).

losttoy wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:

Quote:
Heheh ... i see that more as a limitation of the lenses. The 18-55mm fits only the 300D so if you bought another body or a Canon film SLR it would be useless.

Anyways, I plan to get the Sigma 18-125mm as I don't want to lug around lenses with me. It seems to have gotten good reviews for its price on the forum.
The new EOS-20D is also compatible with EF-S lenses, and chances are, any newer DSLR models with a crop factor introduced by Canonwill also use the newer mount. So, this would give you more options for lenses introduced by Canon in the future. They've already launched a couple:EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the info, Jim. As I am reading more about the 300D I am more convinced that it is sufficient for my needs. I guess the used D60 can go to someone else

Btw, I found a good link for those who might lament lack of manually chosing metering and the AI on 300D.
http://revjim.net/item/9796/

Was useful for a newbie like me.

Cheers,

Siddhartha
Old Jan 20, 2005, 1:38 AM   #6

It's a hard choice. Yes the 300D acepts the new lenses, but I've never had a problem finding lenses for my D30. The 300D does have a bit less noise, but here are some other area's that the D60-D30's accell in:

Magnesium Alloy Body:

Fully Control AF and Metering Mode:

Continuous Mode: The D30 can take8 frames at 3 frames/sec, while the digital Rebel is limited to 4 frames at 2.5 frames/second.

Mirror Lock Up:

2nd Curtain Sync:Flash Photography:

For the money you'll spend on a new 300D, you could buy a pretty nice used 10D. I'd go that route myself.

Instead of the Sigma lense, have you looked at the Tokina AT-X 242 24-200mm? I currently have one and it's a fantastic lense. It's parafocal and seems to be well built. Great range too. With the 1.6 multiplyer it's effectivley a 38-320. Just my .02 cents
toothlesrooster is offline   Reply With Quote