Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:15 AM   #1

Need to make a decision. Looking for sharp image, ease of use and ability to crop and still maintain image quality.
kdrosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:21 PM   #2

I think the pictures shot with the S70 look better (refering to Steve's sample pics).
Compared to the G6, the pics of the P150 look dull.

Plus: the S70 takes SD cards, the P150 expensive and not-so-well-spread Memory Sticks.

Let's see when Steve will review the P150 ...
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:21 PM   #3

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

The reason for my confusion is that I think Steve did do the review on the p150 on September 4th and after reading both, I was confused as to which made more sense.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 5:23 AM   #4

Oooops ...! :?
Never underestimate Steve's tendency towards staying up-to-date!

He already reviewed the P150 on 30 August. And the Canon Powershot S70 even has CF cards what makes buying additional memory cards cheaper than mentioned, and for videos microdrives is a nice option.

Still: I think image quality of the S70 is better than that of the P150.

Nothing's changed - I'd still go for the S70 ...
Old Sep 26, 2004, 5:19 PM   #5

I'd take the Sony 150 over the S70 any day of the week.

I had the S70 in my hands for 2 weeks of extensive testing.

The camera had substantial issues--at least to me.

For one, the S70 exhibits substantial vignetting (dark corners on all four corners of frame) at widest zoom with flash. The vignetting is seen at over 12+ feet! This means that pics using wide zoom in pubs with friends is useless. As the next stop up from zoom puts it "in any other camera ~38mm territory!" FWIW, vignetting disappears on the next stop/level up from zoom--but then again the wide zoom 28mm benefit goes out the window along with it, doesn't it?

Secondly, the S70 has substantial purple fringing in dark contrast areas--much more so than competitors.

I also dissaprove of its sliding doors as well, as I abhor moving parts of any kind. They're just engineered for failure. You can just read up on the net about how sliding door cameras from Olympus, Canon have resulted in significant issues.

Now, on the positive side, when everything is going your way in perfect conditions, then the pics are outstanding. But one must live with a camera in all conditions. The negatives at this point in time outweigh the benefits.

If you need flexibility, choose he G6, which is a good digicam, but NOT the S70! If portability interests you, then the Sony 150. Sony, amazingly enough, is currently making very compelling products. The fringing and noise are VERY well controlled with no vignetting to these eyes.

Another camera you should consider is the new Pentax Optio 750--perhaps the best camera of the compact size, high resolution, manual control ilk. It also has flip lcd and 5x zoom. It is receiving GREAT reviews. I think this is THE CAMERA outside of the DSLR range, when also throwing portability.
dr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:03 AM   #6

dr150 wrote:
Quote:
Another camera you should consider is the new Pentax Optio 750--perhaps the best camera of the compact size, high resolution, manual control ilk. It also has flip lcd and 5x zoom. It is receiving GREAT reviews. I think this is THE CAMERA outside of the DSLR range, when also throwing portability.
Do you have links to Pentax Optio 750 reviews? This cam would be interesting!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:20 AM   #7

I'd be interested in seeing those links though I am reluctant to go to pentax optio as that is my current camera and the picture quality is just plain lousy.