Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:03 PM   #1

Hi All!

My wife finally got tired of me complaining about the bad pictures I can only seem to take with a bad digital camera, so I convinced her I need a real camera to take better pictures.

Due to it's popularity, price and available accessories, the Canon 300D Digial Rebel fits my needs perfect. But, I'd like to know the best place to buy this camera. It's popularity seems to be keeping the price high (>$950) at most of my favorite places to shop (newegg, buy.com, amazon...) So, can anyone suggest a place that has them for the $800 range that is worth doing business with?

Thanks!

Scott
scottwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! 42nd photo and buydig.com have the 300d with kit lense for about $825. I've bought from both places before and have not had a problem with my order - of course I never had to deal with customer service or return anything. I would also advise you to get a 1 gig compact flash for it. There is a price war going on right now and both the Lexar 80x and Ultra II cards can be had for around $100. BH Photo is a great place to get camera gear and they often have a low price on lenses and excesories but they always seem to sell the D-rebel for about $50 more than some of the discounters. I'd also recommend reading a number of the threads involving additional lenses. Good luck and enjoy!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:48 PM   #3

I haven't bought here, but I've been impressed by their prices.

http://www.digitalliquidators.com/de...=cneos300d1855

Jon
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:12 PM   #4

Thanks JohnG, I've heard of buydig.com, and they've also got the best price on the Canon Image Stabilizer lens (which I'm considering) at $399, about $100 less than all other places I've seen.

JonnyG, That price was interesting, but I can't confirm that the camera is full retail packaged, A trick I've seen used a lot by on-line retailers that the cameras are not fully packaged, or may be refurbs. Not that I don't like refurbs, I buy refurb computer stuff a lot, but I want new in this case. I've even found a site with the 300D unpackaged for $499 w/o lens, but heard really bad stuff about them: http://www.usaphotonation.com/produc...oduct_id=10115 I personally wouldn't recommend them at all. But, if you're the adventurous type...

Thanks guys! I hope to be a new 300D owner by the end of next week.
scottwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:10 PM   #5

Price isn't everying...of course you should check with a site like http://www.resellerratings.com before shopping at a store you've never dealt with. For instance 42nd Street Photo has a rating of 0 out of 10; most people who have bought from them would never buy there again http://www.resellerratings.com/seller6510.html

Also, beware that some stores that sell the camera significantly cheaper don't provide any manufacturer's warranty or are missing accessories...that's why they can sell the camera so cheap. Many will sell the accessories that are supposed to come packaged with the camera at a premium price:
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,107855,00.asp

We all want to save a buck, but it could cost you more in the end...better to buy from a reputable local dealer that you can talk to in person.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:41 PM   #6

I agree you should only buy from a reputable dealer. Things to look for:

* Statement that product comes factory sealed - unopened

* statement that the product carries full factory warranty

* look for what is included and make sure nothing is missing (i.e. not missing a battery or cables).

* look at their return policy.

* they should have an 800 (or 888) number for customer service.

I also agree that user opinions are valid - sites like www.shopping.com and www.pricegrabber.com give prices as well as user recommendations. BUT, no one store is going to sell every item for the lowest prices - they would go out of business. So, if you are price concious, buying EVERY item from the same store is going to cost you more money. Buying from a local dealer will not protect you from agressive sales tactics and unless you live in a place like New York city many local dealers just don't carry the inventory. For instance when I wanted to buy a Sigma flash - NONE of the local dealers near me carry the flash in stock. Those that could order it were going to charge about 30-50% more for the flash than I could get it for on line. Having said all that I offer this last bit of opinion - if there is only 1 store offering an item at a price that is 20-30% lower than everyone else, then beware! Usually, however, you will see 2 or 3 price tiers among etailers and you should have several 'reputable' etailers to choose from at the lowest tier.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote