Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:45 PM   #1

I'm looking to replace my Kodak DC4800 with a new camera. I have 3 and 5 year old boys, so I'll be using it mostly for family shots. I take quite a few inside pictures, as well as zoo trips, camping, etc.

I've been looking at the Sony 828, Olympus 8080, Minolta Z3, and Panny FZ20. Also, the Nikon 8800 looks interesting.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:09 PM   #2
blr

JonnyG wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to replace my Kodak DC4800 with a new camera. I have 3 and 5 year old boys, so I'll be using it mostly for family shots. I take quite a few inside pictures, as well as zoo trips, camping, etc.

I've been looking at the Sony 828, Olympus 8080, Minolta Z3, and Panny FZ20. Also, the Nikon 8800 looks interesting.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon
Hi, unless you are planning to print your imagesin A3 sizes IMO 8 mP is a waste of data storage space and money. Minolta Z3 and Panasonic FZ20 are both good cameras, I'd add to your list Minolta A1 as well
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 6:42 PM   #3

Since a lot of pictures are inside, how about low light? With little kids fast AF and lag is important too.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:55 AM   #4
TC3

The Kyocera M410R is a fast camera and has a good continuous shooting mode which i have found excellent when taking pics of kids or anything thats moves around a lot. Does nice indoor flash pics too so you may want to go check out the Kyocera forum and see if it is a camera to add to your list
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:19 PM   #5

Go with either Sony 828 andOlympus 8080 in this preference order!

828+ =focus speed, long-distance reach (zoom), low-light operation.

8080+ = better image quality, smaller, cheaper

Forget about Z3 and Kyocera (poor image quality).

FZ-20 may be a lot of fun (stabilised super-zoom) but is on the slow side, only 5MP,a littlenoisy and only 36mm wide.

Nikon 8800? Interesting yes..., but slow and maybe not enough wide for interiors.

And yes, you need many MP.

For blr: the MP race is bad when quality degrades (see G5 versus G3). But it is good when quality (noise and dinamic range) is increasing too (see Canon G6 versus G5)!

You should see things in this context when Steve or Phil Askey are saying "MP race is stupid". Face it: 4" x 6" prints at TRUE 300 dpi needs 1200 x 1800 x 4 = 2400 x 3600 pixels, woops,more than 8MP !!!
mariusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:18 PM   #6

Thanks much. So you do not think the lack of image stabilization and lower zoom range is a problem with the 828. Since one of the problems I have right now is indoor lighting it sounds really good at that. But I also have some blurry pics currently and think the IS would help with that.

Thanks again.
Jon
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:31 PM   #7
TC3

mariusi wrote:
Quote:

Forget about Z3 and Kyocera (poor image quality).

The kyocera gives good quality images....check out Steves review.I own 1 and i am a demandng photographer at times!

I too believe 8mp is not needed and i print excellent pics in A4 no problem.

Do not be led to believe that the more mp thebetter the camera....that is absolute rubbish

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 4:50 PM   #8

Z3 good image quality ??? Steve (and he's not the only one) says (very polite):
"Bottom line - the DiMAGE Z3 is a mixed bag, its powerful lens, Anti-Shake technology, and speedy performance will interest many, however the less than stellar "out of camera" image quality will put off others"
Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:04 PM   #9

JonnyG:
Oh, yes, I'd prefer image stab and a longer zoom range
But all it's a compromise and I think that 8080 is the best compromise for quality and 828 the best for zoom (wide side included) and speed.
BTW, if you opt for 828 that means that ~$900 and 0.9 kg aren't a problem for you. For $1300 and 1.1 kg you can buy Canon 300D + EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM. And a SLR (with 1600 usable ISO and IS) is unbeatable.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:36 PM   #10

Kyocera M410R, shooting indefinitely at 2 fps WITH refocus is a very speedy, indeed.
But Steve is as always, extremely polite and a little optimistic with the camera he reviews. I took time to look at 410's samples posted. They're loussy. Look at Canon, Olympus, Sony, Kodak or Panasonic pictures and you'll see the difference.
Other reviewers are more specific: "Dull colors in photos; images look fuzzy and soft; low light focusing wasn't great; no AF-assist lamp".
Sorry, despite 10x zoom and good speed I don't like M410R and I cannot recomend it to others.