Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

:?Hello Everyone,

I'm traveling to Europe in two months and I'm looking for a camera to take there. I've heard that I should look into cameras that have high optical zoom. Others tell me to look into high MP. I'm kind of lost. So far I've viewed Kodak Easy Share DX7590, Fuji Finepix E550, S3100, S5100; also the Canon S1 Is.

Please,,,,any suggestions are welcome.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help
DollFace04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:51 AM   #2

DollFace04 wrote:
Quote:
:?*Hello Everyone,

I'm traveling to Europe in two months and I'm looking for a camera to take there. I've heard that I should look into cameras that have high optical zoom. Others tell me to look into high MP.* I'm kind of lost. So far I've viewed Kodak Easy Share DX7590, Fuji Finepix E550, S3100, S5100; also the Canon S1 Is.

Please,,,,any suggestions are welcome.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help
For traveling purposes, there are SEVERAL factors that you need to consider; MP is certainly one of them, although I think it's generally over-valued. Optical zoom, as some mentioned, is quite important when it comes to shooting far away objects, something you will definately do while on trips. However, there are things that people often overlook: the physical size of the camera, the availability of its power source (battery type, for e.g.), as well as its versatility. If a camera is too large, then you might find it difficult to haul around; if its batteries are Li ions, then you might run out of batteries real quick and find yourself carrying a powerless camera around. Similarly, if it's one of those flimsy cameras that break if you as much as brush it against a wall, then you might find yourself without a camera entirely! All of these factors are important for a camera while one trips, and you should consider all of them before making a purchase. Good luck and I hope this reply will help somewhat.
meng-chieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:27 AM   #3

Thanks for your response. I really want the 10x optical zoom..so I'm leaning towards the Kodak EasyShare DX7590 or the Fuji FinePix S5100.

The problem is that where I live (Puerto Rico) these cameras are REALLY expensive, compare to the prices I've seen on the net. The Fuji cost $480, the Canon $470.00, the Kodak is the least expensive at $368.00, but most of the places that sellthem online either don't ship to PR, or they charge a lot for shipping.

Once again, thanks for your advice and if you have any more suggestions, I'll welcome them...

Thanks and have a good day---

Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:17 PM   #4

I just bought a new digital for my upcoming trip to Europe but I looked for a camera with a wide zoom rather than long. I suppose it depends on the type of shots you expect to take but for the interior of museums, churches and in the narrow streets typical of old cities and villages think 28mm minimum.
riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:44 PM   #5

What do u mean by 28mm? How does that translate to optical or digital zoom? I'm new todigital cameras.....

Which ones u recommend?

Thanks for your response....
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:11 PM   #6

That's the focal length of the lens, in 35mm camera format. This will explain things with examples (hit "Next Topic" a few times for more info):
http://209.196.177.41/07/07-02.htm

50mm is about the same as the human eye.
38mm is semi-wide.
25mm is wide.
smaller than that goes into semi-fisheye and fisheye.

Larger numbers gets into telephoto.

As for digital zoom, most will recommend ignoring digital zoom numbers, and even turning off digital zoom when using the camera because all it does is crop and enlarge the photo which distorts the picture.

As for the time before your vacation, get the camera soon so you have time to practice before your trip so you can use the camera without thinking or having to flip through the manual on your trip (most people will buy their camera a week or two before their trip, and complain when their pictures don't turn out due to the fact they don't know their camera's limits).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:15 PM   #7

I believe the zoom range for the Kodak EasyShare DX7590 is 38mm to 380mm and the Fuji FinePix S5100 37mm to 370mm (very similar). I think you will find the 38mm (or 37mm) too restrictive when you are trying to fit all of a building or a group of people in your shot. The 370-380mm side of your zoom is ideal for wildlife photography (or other very specialized uses) but somehow I don't think you'll be doing much of that on your trip.

There are other issues that you need to consider when travelling. I was in Rome last Spring and found that, although I thought I was prepared, one issue really plagued me. The battery would not last a full day. That forced me to head back to the hotel mid-day every day. Try to bring a spare. Media storage can be another problem. Will you have enough storage cards to last for the duration of the trip? Some alternative options are bringing an addresslist of cyber-cafes where you can burn your photos to CD-R (you can find these on the internet). You could also bring with youanother large capacity storage device (i.e. - X's drive Pro or a laptop) where you can upload your digital files. Also make sure you have the proper adapters to plug in your camera to recharge the batteries.
riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:16 PM   #8

Good points to make Riva...and of course you have to worry about the voltage difference issue (you do know that Europe uses 240v 50Hz vs. 120v 60Hz in North America, assuming that's where the original poster is from).

To increase wide angle on my 38-380mm camera, I use a wide angle converter which turns my 38mm end to 25mm and it weighs only 178g/6.3oz:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/...xdcr6600eg.htm
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 5:01 PM   #9

First ask, where in Europe you are going. If its to the Alps then long zoom might be very important. However, I found that what I wished when I was over there was a wide angle lens. If you are coming from the North America the major adjustment is that the streets are narrow. One of the reasons European cities are so intersting is that they are old. This means that the streets were build before cars. The plazas are often not large. You can still go with a large zoom, but I'd figure in the cost of a wide angle conversion lens.

Also, where are you going to be staying? If its in good hotels then figure you can charge at night when you sleep. But that's one set per charger, unless you get a fast charger. Since memory cards are the equivalent of film, plan to take lots of those.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:26 PM   #10

Hello Dollface04,

Welcome to the forum

It looks like you will be in Europe during the winter.

Hereare things to consider:

1. Lithium battery for your camera (works better in low temps)

2. UV filter (glass) to PROTECT your lens.

3. Charger for your battery that will work with 110 voltage USA or 220 voltage in Europe with at least one extra battery.

4. If online stores have an 800 number call them and ask if you can send money order for a camera. They will often do that.

5. Check any online vendor first at: www.resellersratings.com before you buy.

6. Pay the extra freight to have it shipped One Day.

7. Extra memory cards.

8. Blank CD media so when on trip you can have someone put your photos to CD.

There is lots more I could suggest but this should keep you busy

Good luck and happy skiing???

:-)

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote