Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:13 AM   #1

I'm planning a trip to asia. Seeking a digicam with: AA batteries, a large (6x+) opt. zoom, and 4mp+. Primary usage will be personal, the option of printing and sharing to galleries is a strong consideration.

Any suggestions?

IS THE FUJI 5100 NOW BETTER THAN THE 7000?
I'm leaning towards the Fuji's , however the 7000 apparently has some issues with image quality.
The new 5100 (4MP) is a great unit with infa-red assist AF, but it's got vignetting (darkness in the corners of images) at wider apetures.
Any opinions on which is a better camera? (excluding image size and pricing.) I'm siding towards the 5100, hoping that having to fix or crop images before printing won't drive me totally nuts. As it's my first digicam, i don't have previous experience to go on.

THE MINOLTA Z-3 is also right there with anti shake but no AF assist lamp. However, I can't get beyond the toy-like feel to it and i've read about image problems with it, as well.

I looked at the Kyocera M410R today and liked the Fuji 5100 alot more. The Kyocera build was not nearly as strong.

Unless I discover another, it's between the Fuji's and the Minolta Z-3.

For storage, I'm looking for a portable dvd burner. The best option i've found so far is the Addonics MFR cd burner. It would be great to find one that runs on AA batteries.

Thanks for tuning in.
Shawn

shawnzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2004, 4:01 AM   #2

Take a look at the Olympus C-750. In my view, it beats the Fujis and the Z3.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:37 AM   #3

I have had the S7000 for 11 months and really like it. It has lots of functions not all of which I have mastered even yet. However, the S5000 seems to produce good images and you get the extra 4X optical zoom. Also, as was said earlier, the Olympus C-750 and, I think, the C-755, now on sale at http://www.outpost.com for a decent price also make nice pictures.

If you look at many pro reviews of the s7000, you see mention of noise. It's true, there is some, especially at 12 megapixels normal compression. However, overall, I like the image quality of the camera, and I spent 200 dollars more than you would need to spend to get it now.

Don't think of this as a huge problem. You have many choices, any one of whch will probably satisfy you. If you can, though, get your hands on the cameras you're considering and see how they feel.

Good luck.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:48 AM   #4

That Olympus 750is very nice camera! There is alot to like. They sure put the shutter release in an odd place, though.

Due to battery considerations, I've decided on the Fuji 5100 (butterflyphoto/$310).

I'm somewhat anxious to make sure it's a good unit (not a lemon) before the 10day return expires. I've been searching around and have found nothing on inspecting a new camera for defect. I think i'll go post a new one.

Could anyone offer an opinionof how many sets of batteries to travel with,allowing for maximum time away from power, but without carrying too much weight for the 80% of the time that power will be nearby? I'm thinking about a solar charger to help.

Thanks,

Shawn

Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:49 AM   #5

I usually travel with two sets of batteries and a charger that can plug into the cigarette lighter outlet.

If I'm on vacation, I will use one set of batteries in the morning. While I am travelling from one tourist destination to another, I recharge the batteries via the cigarette lighter outlet. In the evening, I can also recharge my batteriesin my hotel room.

You could try solar, but I'm curious as to how quickly the batteries will recharge. With a quick charger, I can recharge batteries that are not quite dead in about an hour.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:58 AM   #6

Too bad you chose the 5100. I think the 7000 is the better deal, as its a 6mp camera.

For some reason, the Fuji's run a lot less money that other cameras. Perhaps they don't get as good a rating as the Canons and Nikons. HOwever, at the price point (have you looked at digitalliquidators.com?, they have cheap cameras), Fuji's seem to outperform based on what you get for the money. I see S7000's going in the $400 range, which is real cheap for a 6mp camera with a pretty good lens.

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 two years ago which has pretty much delivered everthing I askedout of it. I just wish the 7000 was out at the time, because the 6mp would have been nice for extra resolution and cropping, while still able to produce a nice 8x10 print.

If your going on vacation, make sure you purchase a large media card. For a one or two week vacation, you'd probably want a 500k or 1meg compact flash card.

A one meg card, assuming you have a 4MP camera with average amount of jpg compression,would hold about 600 jpg fine images, equivalent to about 25 rolls of film. A 500K card would obviously hold about 300 images, or 12 rolls. Figure out how many pictures your likely to take on your vacation and plan accordingly.

I use a micro drive, which chews up extra battery power. Definitely go for the compact flash or SD (I think your camera will take SD cards) and give yourself extra battery life.

I hope all this helps.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:44 PM   #7

You might want to look at the Panasonic FZ20 or even FZ15 as well. I was comparing the Fuji 7000, Minolta Z3 as well, and based on reviews and what I was looking for the FZ20 won. I haven't been disappointed at all.
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 3:00 PM   #8

luckycat wrote:
Quote:
You might want to look at the Panasonic FZ20 or even FZ15 as well. I was comparing the Fuji 7000, Minolta Z3 as well, and based on reviews and what I was looking for the FZ20 won. I haven't been disappointed at all.
Agree there, The FZ20 is a great camera, only ,let down is it uses a battery pack rather than AA's but as said the ciggerate charging will get around this, just buy one or two extra battery packs (They're are apparently good for 200 shots + each) T;is definatly worth a look, I paid £339 for mine and am well impressed, actually cheaper than the S7000 most places

Have to diagree on the compact flash capacity, The S7000 may store that many images at its 6MP compression ratio, but I found with mine at this level the compression was so harsh that image quality suffered. This forced me into using the 12MP Fineinterpolated setting, which means you getting about 100-200shots on a 512MB card (depends on image oviously)

HTH
~Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:54 PM   #9

Thanks for responding guys...

i've decided on the s5000 and am happy. the size is great. it vingette's alot of the time which is horrible.

steves review indicated he liked the uninterpolated images of the super ccd cams and looking at the pics, i see how this would be true.

i feel that i made the right decision for my purposes for this camera.

thanks again