Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2004, 3:16 PM   #1

I'm wondering which camera i should buy, and those are my picks, i used to had an olympus D-560 so that made me an olympus-fan, but now i don't have any.

Ican spend the amount on each one of those cameras (i'd payup to 550$ if i really think it's worth it)

I'm no expert photographer, i just love to have a handy camera at hand, i'll use the manualabilities when needed, but basically - the main purpose of the cam would be leisure and occasional events... more of a "point-and-shoot".

I'm in for a good zoom, and the Anti-Shake system i saw on the Z3 seems great, but the key-features that i want are:

* Good battery life (and convinience for recharge...)

* Ability to capture video w/sound

* Generally-highimage quality

Anyone with a suggestion? i don't mind hearing new ones....

Thanks Ahead,

Zvika
zvoykish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 5:08 PM   #2

zvoykish wrote:
Quote:
I'm wondering which camera i should buy, and those are my picks, i used to had an olympus D-560 so that made me an olympus-fan, but now i don't have any.

I can spend the amount on each one of those cameras (i'd pay up to 550$ if i really think it's worth it)

I'm no expert photographer, i just love to have a handy camera at hand, i'll use the manual abilities when needed, but basically - the main purpose of the cam would be leisure and occasional events... more of a "point-and-shoot".

I'm in for a good zoom, and the Anti-Shake system i saw on the Z3 seems great, but the key-features that i want are:

* Good battery life (and convinience for recharge...)

* Ability to capture video w/sound

* Generally-high image quality

Anyone with a suggestion? i don't mind hearing new ones....

Thanks Ahead,

Zvika
I'd suggest you look at the Canon IS. If you don't need manual focus and can live with its lower movie rate, the Panasonic FZ3 (see www.dpreview.com). I was initially looking at the KM Z3 but am having second thoughts after seeing the comparison of the results in http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml
review of the FZ20. I know that's out of your price range, but about 1/2 way down is a comparison of the KM Z2, FZ3 (which is well in your price range), and the FZ20 (which is not). Good luck.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 5:40 PM   #3

For about $550 you can get a factory reconditioned Olympus C-8080 WZ with full warranty (practically new)or hold off for a while and prices are bound to go lower on a new one. Right now the best price I've seen online is $ 669.
riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:58 PM   #4

ok, i checked the cameras you described, and the fz20 really seems great, i just love the black model, plus the 20 has some features that the others don't have (if the fz3 had 4 megapixels i probably would've taken it in a rush).

i found the fz20 on the net pretty cheap - 499$, and it goes well with my budget, i just want to know for sure - according to reviews this is the best ultra-zoom digital camera available right now, am i correct? is it really much better than the olympus 5060 and any other "opponent" of that category? (long-zoom....)

And thanks again in advance,

Zvika
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:11 PM   #5

You have a bit of variety of types of cameras, especially between the Z3/765 and the 5060...you first have to decide whether you want long zoom or lots of wide.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 9:39 AM   #6

ok...

I prefer the LONG ZOOM, i want a good Long zoom camera and i think that i'm looking more towards the panasonic models.

i've read again the reviews and the specs of those cameras, and the only opponent i have right now is the C-5060 (which has lower zoom, but is a very good cam)

I'm regular to olympus cameras so mystate-of-mind was that most of the other vendors were not as good as olympus, but now i believe that the dmc-fz10,15 & 20 are really good cameras, i love the x12 zoom, the Great image stabilizer, the Focus ring, and of course the included lens-hood against the flares.

the things i still need to know are:

1) is the EVF on the panasonic models worse than the optical on the c5060? i don't wanna find myself unable to see what i'm capturing at any situation.. low light, high-exposure.... i don't mind seeing 70-80% like inwith the opticals.

2) i want to buy a 512MB card, the dmc-fzXX series use SD, so i can get an ultraII card, i read that it's fast, butare the CF2 MicroDrive 1GB cards on the 5060 faster than this one?

3) And last but not least, as i see - the main difference between the fz10, 15 & 20 are the resolutions (and of course the price),are there any other major differences? again, i'm pretty much amateur photographer, i just want a good camera to satisfy any photographing-needs i have...

Again, Thanks ahead for the helpers,

Zvika