Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2004, 12:40 AM   #1

Hey guys, this site is great and I recently i bought a book "Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers" and it inspired me to get a professional camera or somewhat professional. I was looking at all the Digital SLR prices and they are too high! I really liked the Canon Digital SLR Rebel for 800 dollars w/o lens but thats too much. Is there any entry-level SLR cameras that will allow me to take high quality pictures and learn the wonderful world of photography? I would buy a regular film camera but thats too expensive for me to experiment with, at least I can take as many pictures as I want with a digital camera.

I am really a graphic designer but have no photography experience except with a Point-n-Shoot camera but I'd love to learn which is why I'm on a hunt for a nice beginner camera that will allow me to learn but still have a decent camera. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
mnarciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:55 AM   #2

I can't exactly understand if you are finally askingfor an advice for buying a non-SLR digital camera for experimenting or a SLR film camera ?!

If you are talking about a SLR camera to begin with, I have two proposals for you:

1-Nikon N75 (F75)

2-Minolta Maxxum 5 (Dynax 5)

If you are talking about a budget digital camera to start I would recommend the Canon A95 (that's what I'm also going to get soon as my previous digital has died)

Regards,

Codrut
codz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 12:26 PM   #3

Actually I was looking for a camera with a lot of manual options that provides good quality and will allow me to explore more then just a simple point and shoot camera. For example I was looking at the Canon S1 IS in the 400 dollar range. That is something I can afford.

I finally realized that a SLR camera is too much for someone who has no experience with cameras. I would have a lot of trouble trying to use such a complex camera and it would be a shame if I spent that much money on a camera I can't use. Do you think a Canon S1 IS would be good for a beginner? I'm not looking for something simple but rather intermediate but easy enough to use. Any suggestions for a camera in that price range?
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:03 PM   #4

I see now your point. In my opinion, the S1 IS is a very good camera for begginers, with most features you'll need, good quality pictures, solid grip, but with one major disadvantage - the 38mm minimum focal lenght. If you can live with this you will go well with the S1 IS, but think before .. because you will be stuck with no possibility to go below 38mm. If buying the A95..after you have experimented most of the theory with its built-in 38-114mm, you can buy the adaptor and the 0.7X converter lens which gives you arround 28mm .. and you can also add filters (a polarizer it's a must).
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:11 PM   #5

Ahhh thank you Codz... I'm sorry I'm still a little new to the scene so I was wondering what you meant by the 38 mm focal length? I was looking at the A95 but the only thing I was worried about was not being able to zoom in as much as the S1 IS. But you were saying you could add another lens on top of it to get added zoom? Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:19 PM   #6
TC3

The S1 has a 10x optical zoom range. It has a angle of view of 38 to 380 mm. This means that 38mm is the widest angle but may be insufficent at times when you are taking pics of large groups or buildings etc, but can not fit everything into the pic. An slr will allow you to change lenses of course but on the S1 you add aconvertor that screws into the front of the original lens which will make the angle of view wider or narrowerdepending on the convertor you use

A polarizer is not a must have but a uv filter is a good idea as that can be left permantly on the lens and protect it from damage. I own a KyoceraM410r which is a model you may also want to check out and i am sure others will be biased towards there own camera like me:G
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 4:30 PM   #7

Thank you TC3 for the excellent explanation! That made things a lot easier to understand. I was reading a glossary but it didn't make it quite clear. I will look at any cameras you guys throw at me that are in the 400 dollar range.

However what should be more important? I'm wondering why the Canon S1 IS has 10x optical zoom and is 100-150 dollars cheaper then something like the Canon S60/70, while these cameras have higher megapixels and a shorter focal length of like 28 i think I read. Do you need a high zoom to get high quality pictures close up?

I always thought the cameras that had an optical zoom of 3x we simple point and shoot cameras but some reviews say they are enthusiasts cameras... what exactly does that term mean? Again you guys are great thanks for takin the time to explain this stuff to me.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:49 AM   #8

I guess you already decided for Canon, because if you can't decide on one manufacturer than you're in a big trouble And Canon is the best choice when it comes to digital cameras. The more desirable G5, G6, S70are very expensive, and the S60 didn't quite impress .. so I've tuned down to the A95. But I have reviewed again the S1 IS and it is looking good also for a beginner. If you can live with 3 Mpix (and probably you will), and the smaller (1'5) LCD, you will have a lot of fun taking shots with focals over 100mm (that you couldn't do with a normal to 100mm digital). The S1 IS is also very ergonomic with it's round protuberances and the big grip (in terms of compact cameras). And you may later put the teleconvertes lens also on this Canon .. they are the same like in the A95.

I guess it's your choice
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:59 AM   #9
TC3

Having a large optical zoom such as a 10X certainly adds to the fun of taking pics and in my opinion it is better to have a large zoom rather then have to enlarge and crop an image because you were to far from it. I heard that the S1 had a firmware update which made the camera even better so go talk to the Canon forum for their views
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:25 PM   #10

Thanks for all your help! I'm all excited to get my camera now after doing hours of research and of course opinions from you guys. Looking foward to joining the community when I get my camera =).