Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:57 AM   #1

Am looking to buy a Minolta G600, and was wondering if it has any limitations on the capacity of the memory cards... Any information on the topic would be appreciated...
The Chrisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Administrator

Well, I don't know of anyone that's tried cards > 512mb yet.

Konica-Minolta has a tested cards list, that shows that they've tested Memory Stick Pro cards through 1GB. But, only cards through 512mb have been tested in Secure Digital (Panasonic and Toshiba SD Cards).

I suspect that cards larger than 512mb will work in SD (provided it's a compatible card). But, you'd have to try it to find out.I would suggest using faster cards. Although some users have no problems with "standard speed" cards, in earlier KM models like the G500, some users did report problems with the Standard Speed Sandisk Cards (and many other manufacturers use the same components).

For the G500, Konica-Minolta used to list the Standard Speed Sandisk cards in smaller sizes (through 128mb) as been tested (with specific warnings for the Standard Speed Sandisk SD Card in 256mb size). But, they have since removed all Sandisk SD Cards in all sizes from the "tested cards" list for the G500. They also don't show these standard speed cards for the G600 as tested.

Personally, I'd stick with Panasonic or Simpletech (Simpletech uses Panasonic Components in their larger SD cards). But, some users have found that the Sandisk Ultra II cards work fine, too (but they have not been listed as tested by Konica-Minolta). Other users have reported that they have Sandisk Standard Cards that work in > 128mb size. Personally, I wouldn't trust them in these models (G series KM models).

Now, I did read something recently that manufacturers have discovered that many cameras using SD won't be able to work with the newer 2GB cards without a firmware upgrade. So, this could be the case with the G600, too. From a FAT (File Allocation Table) perspective, it should go to 2GB OK (the limit of FAT16). But, I'd wait until someone actually tests it with larger cards to make sure a firmware upgrade won't be needed.

Here is the official "tested cards" list for the G600:

http://www.minoltaeurope.com/cgi/com...;product=dg600

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:46 AM   #3

Jim, recently I bought the Konica Minolta G600 and a Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb SD card. It works!
By the way, I decided to get this G600 after reading your positive comments. I trust you.
Agus K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:42 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes, I've since seen some reports of larger cards working in these models.

Someone told me that the Sandisk 1GB Ultra II cards also work fine in the G500 (although I have not tried a card this large in my KD-510z yet).

I hope you like the camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote