Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1

So I've made my decision on getting the Canon S1 IS as it would be a great camera to give me lots of room to explore for a beginner and keep me on my toes for a bit. However, now its time to find the best price and from which store should I buy it from?

I've heard a lot of horror stories or bad experiences coming from NY camera shops online with their bad practices with business and all and overpriced accessories. I've seen a few NY shops that have good ratings at cnet and mixed feelings from other buyers. The prices are usually really good, is there any internet shop that is NOT located in NY but sells for a good price too?

I was thinking ebay as last resort so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.
mnarciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:03 AM   #2

There are still reputable places to buy from in NY: 17 photo, butterfly photo, BH photo are all reputable - just make sure any site indicates that it is an unopened box with all included accessories and full manufacturers warranty - also take a look at their return/refund policy (make sure there isn't a restocking fee). As for over priced accessories - that's easy - DON'T BUY THEM! When I bought my DSLR, I bought the body from one company, the lense from another and the CF card from a third - all reputable but I saved hundreds of dollars because it is rare that one place on the internet is going to have the lowest prices on everything. Buydig.com & newegg.com are also reputable companies that many people I know have dealt with. CNET.com and pricegrabber.com are great sites for pricing out merchandise. Good luck with your purchase!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:28 PM   #3

try jr.com it where i got my camera and they charge no slaes tax if you live outside of NY
darklurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:42 PM   #4

Why are all the camera/electronic shops in NY?
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:58 PM   #5

mnarciso wrote:
Quote:
Why are all the camera/electronic shops in NY?
They aren't...most of the scammers are though. Many of the low price Ad's you see in magazines are ususally run out of 2 or 3 locations while they call themselves many different names. But, you also have a few of the best stores in NYC too. B&H is one of the biggest camera related retailers in the world (& their store covers the entire bottom floor of a complete NYC block).
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:32 AM   #6

I had a very pleasant experience with onecall.com. Very professional and none of the crap you have to go through (ie, bait and switch) that the NY vendors put you through.
Jon_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:10 AM   #7

I have used the following with great success

www.bhphoto.com

www.newegg.com

www.jr.com

Good luck

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:51 PM   #8

Yeah I was planning on using Newegg as I've bought computer parts from them before. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:17 PM   #9

Also Adorama is a great place to shop. Comparable to B&H in price, sometimes a few dollars less.
Basically, anything in Brooklyn, NY is best avoided - while Manhattan based (those mentioned above, plus K&M Camera) should be alright.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote