Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:28 AM   #1

I have spent the last few months weighing up all the digital cameras on the market, its a minefield. I only want to spend an absolute maximm of £350 approx. Te two deals I have come across are the Fuji S7000 for £275 and the Nikon Coolpix 5700 for £350.

I have read many good reviews aboutthe S7000 but its image quality has been questioned and in comparison to people's thoughts on the 5700 is lacking.

I was hoping for more than a 210mm zoom but I can live with this and most other functionality is covered by the S7000.

I just really really need someone to confirm which is the best way to do and is there anything else in this price range that is better.
Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:19 PM   #2

Just be aware that the Fuji S7000 uses xD memory cards. While there's nothing inherently inferior with them, very few camera brands uses this standard, and as such you may find price and availability of these unfavourable compared to the more common CF and SD standards.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:26 PM   #3

Check out the Panasonic FZ10.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:37 PM   #4

Right, you're a Brit. My advice? Steer clear of Nikon. Nikon UK are awful and their equipment at that level is not as good as others. Not only that, the after sales support is atrocious. I know becauseI had the Coolpix 885which was a flawed design. WhichMagazine online slate them always putting Fuji, Sony and Canon ahead of them.I am currently taking Nikon to Trading Standards here in Birmingham. My 885 cost £400 and was the worst investment I ever made - take it from me. From day 1the lens was always getting stuckalong with a "system error" fault.Contact me [email protected] if you want any further info.

Now here's a great offer, the Sony DSC-V1:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/phot...quicklinx=2FGD

which is featured by Steve here too and is cheapbecause the model is being superceded but I think for the pricethat Dabs are offeringthis is a bargain and in your price bracket.

I almost bought this and was a toss up between it and the Canon G5. It has great functionality with a superb Carl Zeiss lens. Some have argued that the final picture is a little insipid, but a standard setting on your software will overcome this. With manual focusing and many manual overrides, this little number is not just a point and shoot and will enable you develop as required.

Anyway, apologies for the negativity at the start but I was loyal to the Nikon brand over many years buying 35mm SLRs and many lenses. I feel I was let down badly.

kafkaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:18 AM   #5
Administrator

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
Just be aware that the Fuji S7000 uses xD memory cards. While there's nothing inherently inferior with them, very few camera brands uses this standard, and as such you may find price and availability of these unfavourable compared to the more common CF and SD standards.
The Fuji S7000 supports both Xd-PictureCard and CompactFlash media.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Administrator

I would consider how you are using the camera.

By most reports, the Autofocus System in the Nikon Coolpix 5700 can leave a lot to be desired in low light.

The Fuji tests much better. It's Autofocus System is probably helped out by it's use of Passive Sensors (it has a Hybrid Autofocus System).

The Fuji also has a very powerful built in flash, and a lens that is very bright -- even at full zoom (only stops down to f/3.1 at full zoom--- about twice as bright as the lens on the Nikon 5700 when it's at full zoom -- but the Nikon has a longer zoom, so this is not a fair comparison).

I don't know of anyone that's prepared a chart to show how much light the Nikon lens loses at it's 210mm equivalent setting. But, I suspect the Fuji lens would still be brighter (speculation -- based on how much the Nikon is stopping down at 280mm equivalent, which is f/4.2).

Now, the Fuji has been criticized for it's higher than average noise levels (sky noise, etc.), as well as aggresive JPEG Compression (but a RAW mode is available). But, the Fuji is starting out at ISO 200, whereas the Nikon is starting out at ISO 100. Even still, the Nikon has the advantage of a larger 2/3" CCD.

On Resolution tests I've seen, the Fuji is also able to resolve considerably more detail when shooting in it's 12MP interpolated mode (perhaps due to JPEG Compression differences). It resolves around 1650 Horizontal LPH (Lines per Picture Height), and 1600Vertical LPH.

The Nikon resolves around 1350 Horizontal LPH, and 1200 Vertical LPH. The Fuji actually tests slightly better than the 8MP Nikon Coolpix 8700 on resolution charts (the 8700 tests at 1600 Horizontal LPH, and 1500 Vertical LPH).

But, resolution charts never tell the whole story.

Personally, I prefer the Nikon's metering and color processing.But, if I were doing a lot of indoor/low light shooting, or shooting where I'd want a decent flash without the need to go with an external unit; I'd probably consider the Fuji.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote