Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1

first i have read through many pages here, and i have read Steves review of theCasio Z55...

:?

I cant find any real reviews of the canon ixus 40 camera..

i want a small camera i can take with me anywhere,, i initially wanted the sony T1, but after i tried it and saw the poor flash etc i removed it from the list.

i have seen the Ixus 40 (sd300) and i really like the design of it, and the size.

but it is only 4mp where the Casio Z55 is 5mp.. how do these 2 cameras compare?

ill be using them for fun, vacation, party pics and such. and i know i wont get "everything" in such a compact camera..

Oh and as a sidenote should i get 256mb or 512mb card?? how many pictures are we talking on a 256m card??

Thanx, i hope some of you can help me in my purchase..

/Kim
tagden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:54 AM   #2

I am also interested in how they compare

with just reading steve's review and some brief review of the ixus 40 I am currently leaning towards the Z55
Thanhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:40 PM   #3

Actually im leaning towards the Ixus 40,,, thats because 1 iwe seen how cool it looks, and 2 i can get a great deal on it (actually im getting a 1GB sd card and a small case) for the same price as i would normally pay for a 512mb sd card alone.

So unless someone can tell me that im making a bad deal, i think im gonna go ahead and buy it..... and cross my fingers that i like it!

/Kim
Old Oct 6, 2004, 2:47 PM   #4

Before you decide to buy the Canon Ixus, just tap "Error 18" into your browser. I think if you follow the threads you'll soon go off the idea of buying such a camera.

Nearly everyone seems to get the dreaded problem of the zoom lens seizing, with a month at the factory at least to cure the problem. Lovely to look at, but so is a cobra. I suggest you stay clear of this one. If you want a really compact camera just look at Steve's recommendations and in particular perhaps the Sony P100 now that the 150 is out and the old model is discounted.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:43 AM   #5

I'm looking at buing one of these 2 cameras as well, so am watching this thread rather carefully!

Anyway, cameranserai, I did look up the Error 18 thing, but didn't find anything too specific. Is this a Canon-only problem - ie do they just use particularly bad components, or does affect all compact cameras where the lens retracts fully flush into the case?

Otherwise, I'm finding it pretty tough to decide between the two - Canon is cheaper and has better movie modes +an AF assist lamp while the Z55 has more megapixels and way better battery life and it looks like they've sorted out the quality issues people have reported with the Z40.

I did look at the Sony cameras - P100/150, T1 & W1 but decided against them since I already have some SD cards from my old camera and PDA sonarowed down my search to cameras usingthem.

Cheers
jkmng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:13 PM   #6

well as i said, i decided on the canon ixus 40... and with it im getting a 1gig sd card, so i hope ill get some great pictures from my vacation!

i figured that most pictures will bve 10x15, so 4 or 5 mp issnt gonna make a difference..

only thing im worried about is that i should have gotton a high speed sd card instead of this standard one... but i hopethe high speed card onlyaffects the movie recording, and not the normal photo shooting

Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:18 PM   #7

I would have to warn you that the Casio z55 lcd screen is supposed to be terrible. Though it's a 2.5 inch screen the resolution is not good.I was thinking of getting this camera as I was very disapointed in my Z40. AnywayI've picked up a review for you to lot toread about the z55.

I am not a professional photographer but I take photography as a hobby and very seriously. I had the camera for one day and I had to return it to the store to exchange for another camera. (I've now got a Canon S500 instead).

The camera is very nicely constructed. Perfect size, large LCD, feels very good, the battery life has to be the best among all the models out in the market. Perfect for people who like to carry their camera in their pockets wherever they go.
Why did I return it? The quality of the photos were average. The worst part was that the LCD quality was so bad that I could not stand it. The LCD has a yellow tone to it. No matter how much I adjusted the white balance, it remained very yellowish compared to any other models. It is very annoying to have a large LCD, but poor quality.

Having said all that, Casio has definitely taken a big leap to improve their digital cameras (esp the battery!!) more so than many other brands.

dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 3:27 AM   #8

I wonder how good the T3 would be? If we're talking about the flash range - always bare in mind that these ultra compact cameras have very limited flash range - but what if - considering you already know the limitations - could you say - take good pix of the T1 indoor with sufficient but lowlighting, with flash? I'm not about to take pix of the people in a dance floor at the disco, but let say - just people seated in a round table in a party - about 6 feet range. Would the picture comes out ok? Sharp?

Ching
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 3:14 PM   #9

I just got my Ixus 40 ( Canon SD300). The zoom still works (fingere crossed)!Great camera, great pictures. Had the Z55 on my shortlist as well, but I am glad I went with the Canon (it was cheaper too).
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote