Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:10 PM   #1

Which of these two cameras would you recommend buying for image quality. The Rebel is 6 megapixels and is an SLR. The Canon G7 is 7 megapixels and has a fixed lens. I am looking for image quality and detail.
fjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:40 PM   #2

Several questions.

1. What is your budjet for the camera choice. The DR will require lens purchase or do you arlready have Canon EF lenses?

2. What type of shooting will you be doing? More action shooting could lead you to the DR.

3. How much gear are you wanting to carry. A DSLR setup is designed to have mulitple lenses for specific type of shooting.

4. Fixed lens cameras can provide excellent quality. What are you basing the quality question on?

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 5:06 PM   #3

1. Budget is no issue. I would likely just use the standard zoom lens that comes with it.

2. Regular shooting of people and scenery, no action shots likely.

3. Probably use just one lens (standard zoom lens).

4. Want super detail and accurate color so I can make large 13x19 prints.
fjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:54 AM   #4

If price is not an issue than the 300D is the obvious choice. If you check several threads here you'll find that high MP doesn't necessarily equate to better pictures. The problem is the G7 has a smaller sensor so with higher MP and especially higher ISO you will get more noise. Printing large pictures will really bring that out. Others here have more experience than I do, but it sounds like a Digital rebel with maybe a 17-40L (again I'm thinking the L because of the large prints you're planning on doing and because you mentioned scenery).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:08 AM   #5

I would agree with John, price no issue then buy the DR. You will also want to buy a good lens for the camera. The kit lens zoom of 55mm is not that big. You will want to look at some larger zoom lens. I have the Canon 70-200 F4/L which would complement the kit lens very well.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:02 PM   #6

While I mostlyagree with both John and Gibsonpd3620 about going with the Rebel, the question I have for you is what is your experience level? If you have little expericen with true SLR's then I would go with the G6. Its image quality is awesome and you don't have to worry about things like getting dust on the imager, etc like you do with an SLR. In fact I myself think thatits image quality is close to that of the Rebel.

As for noise issues with the G6, If you read Steve's review you'll notice that he commented on how there was verylittle noise. He states:

"There was very little noise in high/low contrast areas, even ISO 400 looked good. There is some noise in the picture, but when compared to some of the 8MP cameras from earlier this year (2004), it looks much better. See the photos on ourSamples page. We captured a 13 sec. exposure at F8.0, and again saw very little noise. "

That said, I would not let noise be a deciding factor between these cameras. You have to ask yourself, do you want to just turn in on point and press the shutter, thats it. Now you can do this with both of these models, and both have plenty of manual controls for you to grow into, but which best fits your criteria. And price wise, there are very close with the G6 being about $700 and the rebel kit being about $1000. Also like Gibsonpd3620 said, you might want to consider another lens with the purchase of the rebel. There's nothing wrong with the kit lens, I have seen some awesome pictures captured with it, but there isn't much versatility for composing shots.

Just my two cents. Good luck and happy hunting!

:|

billy is offline   Reply With Quote