Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 8, 2004, 4:56 PM   #1

I am about to buy a new camera, and have narrowed it down to the Canon G6. However, the upcoming (end of October '04) Sony DSC-V3 has a slightly better feature set in my opinion. I am considering waiting to try out and see the final reviews of the DSC-V3. Unfortunately that will leave me without a camera for a couple of weeks with a 9 month daughter at home!

I looked at comparisons of the Canon G6 against photographs taken by the Sony DSC-F828 which shares the image sensor with the DSC-V3 (and the image processor as well?). The DSC-F828 has a better lens than the upcoming DSC-V3, so I reasoned that I should wait for the DSC-V3 only if the DSC-F828's photo quality is comparable/better than the G6.

From what I have seen, the image quality on the G6 beats the DSC-F828 under a variety of conditions (including macro, indoor portraits with and without flash, and oudoor farfield). I am also concerned about the purple fringe in the DSC-F828.

Given that I am not impressed with the DSC-F828 (in theory a better camera than the DSC-V3, with the same sensor), and I like the G6, is it worth waiting for the debut of the DSC-V3?

If the DSC-V3 is scheduled to come out at the end of the month, how long do you think it will be before the reviewers at this site and others have a final review including image quality assessments?

Is it likely that I will be able to pick up the camera at the end of the month, or do these schedules tend to slip?
pb_middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2004, 1:02 PM   #2
Administrator

pb_middleton wrote:
Quote:
I looked at comparisons of the Canon G6 against photographs taken by the Sony DSC-F828 which shares the image sensor technology with the DSC-V3 (and the image processor as well?). The DSC-F828 has a better lens than the upcoming DSC-V3, so I reasoned that I should wait for the DSC-V3 only if the DSC-F828's photo quality is comparable/better than the G6.
Well... it's got a greater focal range, and it's a brighter lens. As to whether or not it's better from an image quality perspective (and image quality is very subjective), we'll have to wait and see.

The DSC-V3 and DSC-F828 do not share the same sensor. The Sony DSC-F828 uses a Sony 2/3" CCD producing an 8 Megpixel Image size, and the Sony DSC-V3 uses a Sony 1/1.8" CCD producing a 7.1 Megapixel Image size.

The CCD used in the DSC-F828 is like the sensor used in other 8 Megapixel Prosumer models like the Nikon Coolpix 8700, Minolta DiMAGE A2 and Olympus C-8080WZ. The main difference with the sensor in the DSC-F828 compared to the other 8 Megapixel Models is that Sony is using a unique RGBE (Red, Green, Blue, Emerald) filter array. Sony is the manufacturer of the sensor used in all of these models.

Quote:
From what I have seen, the image quality on the G6 beats the DSC-F828 under a variety of conditions (including macro, indoor portraits with and without flash, and oudoor farfield). I am also concerned about the purple fringe in the DSC-F828.

Given that I am not impressed with the DSC-F828 (in theory a better camera than the DSC-V3, with the same sensor), and I like the G6, is it worth waiting for the debut of the DSC-V3?
The new Sony DSC-V3 will use the same 7.1 Megapixel Sony CCD that the Canon G6 is using (Sony manufactures this sensor, too).

As for image quality, we'll have to wait and see. Even within models using the identical sensors, there can be a big difference in image processing algorithms.

Quote:
Is it likely that I will be able to pick up the camera at the end of the month, or do these schedules tend to slip?
I have not seen any reliable ship dates mentioned on the forums yet. Your guess is as good as mine. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 5:27 PM   #3

pb_middleton,

What a coincidence. I share the exact same dilemma. I have a daughter that will be 10 months in a couple days. And, I am also very torn between the G6 and the V3. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either camera. I have done my share of research on the two cameras and the G6 gets glowing reviews. I'm sure the V3 will get great reviews as well. I also discovered that both cameras use the same Sony 7 mega pixel CCD. The comparison between the F818 and the G6 is probably not a good comparison. Even thought Sony crammed 7 mega pixels on a 1/1.8" CCD it seems that the technology has improved over the past year or so since they made the 2/3" 8MP CCD. The Sony V3 probably won't have quite as much noise and CA as the F818.

Personally I'm leaning toward the V3 over the G6 (today that is... I could be persuaded). The V3 will probably be slightly faster than the G6 as far as shutter lag which I think is pretty important. If you're going to take pictures of a baby that's moving around as much as mine, the difference between a smile and a frown could take place in a split second. Also, I think the low/no light laser focusing system on the V3 is superior to the G6's assist lamp. I also like the 2.5" LCD of the V3... G6's 2' LCD not to shabby either though and it swivels. V3 also has a much better movie mode.

The ultimate decision maker will be photo quality. I'd bet that the reviews will give the G6 the slight edge over the V3. The three major pro review sites that I visit always seem to like canon a little better than Sony, in general. But even if the G6 is rated slightly better than the V3. I'll probably go for the V3. Because what matters the most to me is what the picture looks like on paper. On paper I'd bet there will be very little difference between the two. At least probably not enough for you or me to tell the difference. These reviews are done under a microscope (so to speak). They look at the picture in Photoshop, under high magnification, and pick out the flaws. Many of which will not be seen when it's printed on paper. I'm not knocking the reviews. I cling on to every detail because I want a great camera. But I'm trying to keep in mind what I'm trying to accomplish. The V3 is going to work great for me. I'm waiting for Steve's review and if there are no major flaws I'm getting one.

Good Luck!!!
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 5:55 PM   #4

I am going to try to make a point. I completed a little experiment a few weeks ago. I downloaded a picture taken by the Sony W1 and actually printed an 8 x 10 on my Canon i960 printer (prints great pics by the way) Here is the website. I printed the building with the palm trees. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so.../gallery.shtml

Then I printed an 8 x 10 of the same picture taken with the Canon G6 (only difference is different day... but both are sunny days). Here is that website. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml

You would think that this is an unfair comparison. There is no question that the G6 is a much better camera. The W1 is often criticized for being fuzzy from overly aggressive noise suppression. The W1 and the G6 aren't really even in the same class. But, looking at the prints I have to say that the G6 didn't look any better than the W1. I did notice a difference when I cropped about a third of the picture… the 7MP G6 definitely looked better than the 5MP W1. Granted, I realize I'm only comparing one picture here, but I wasn't going to waste a lot of paper. Anyway, the Sony V3 has got to be much better than the Sony W1. My point is that I'm deciding between the G6 and the V3. So unless Sony really messed up, the V3 will definitely give the G6 a run for its money and accomplish my needs at the same time.

P.S. Adorama.com has the V3 listed for $639 (not in stock). I bet it will be in by at least the first week of November. I CANT'T WAIT!! Let us know the second you get the production model Steve!!!
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:10 AM   #5

my girlfriend was in the same situation. we decided that the best for her needs is the g6, because of the better apperture, better for taking night shots.
fonfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:12 AM   #6

Hi, I don't know much about the Sony but as the owner of a G3, I'd imagine that the G6 is even better. If you are looking at shots of babies, I would recommend making sure the camera has a swivel screen (I think the G6, like the G3 would have one) as some of the best shots Ive taken with my G3 of my grand children have been due to the ability to get the camera into unusual positions down low without getting in their faces so to speak. I have upgraded to a DSLR but still use the G3 for these kind of shots. Just a thought for you to ponder:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:40 AM   #7
Administrator

pb_middleton wrote:
Quote:

From what I have seen, the image quality on the G6 beats the DSC-F828 under a variety of conditions (including macro, indoor portraits with and without flash, and oudoor farfield).
If you're trying to do portraits without flash, keep in mind that the Lens on the Canon G6 is twice as bright as the lens on the Sony V3. So, it would be able to use shutter speeds about twice as fast for any given lighting condition, ISO speed and focal length. For indoor shots without flash, you *need* a lens that is bright (and even then, you'll still need to increase ISO speeds, which will increase noise, toreduce motion blur from subject movement in most cases - even when using a tripod).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:58 AM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
pb_middleton wrote:
Quote:

From what I have seen, the image quality on the G6 beats the DSC-F828 under a variety of conditions (including macro, indoor portraits with and without flash, and oudoor farfield).
If you're trying to do portraits without flash, keep in mind that the Lens on the Canon G6 is twice as bright as the lens on the Sony V3.¬*¬* So, it would be able to use shutter speeds about twice as fast for any given lighting condition, ISO speed and focal length.¬*¬*¬* For indoor shots without flash, you *need* a lens that is bright (and even then, you'll still need to increase ISO speeds, which will increase noise, to¬*reduce motion blur from subject movement in most cases - even when using a tripod).

¬*

¬*
i agree

flash musnt be good for babies.
fonfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:46 PM   #9

One thing to consider is that an external flash for the G6 is readily available. The best upgrade for baby shots IMHO is a flash with the ability to swivel the head. Lighting the room without blasting the child in the face means fewer cranky faces. Bounce flash off the ceiling doesn't bother my son that much.

If you want a camera system that will grow with you go with the canon, if you don't want to buy into a system then it is a toss up.

I have a G2 and later got a digital rebel as I got more into photography, I also have a Canon film camera. Most of the accessories work togethter which is great.

One other thing - my bias is to get a camear now! your child isn't getting smaller and all it will take is one 'wish I had that camera' opportunity missed and you'll wish you had a camera today not tomorrow.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:23 PM   #10

The Sony HVL-F32X Auto Programmable TTL flash is a great flash. The head swivels up for bounce flash capability. And only $149 from bhphotovideo.com or adorama.com ($199 from Sony)