Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:30 PM   #1

Hello everyone, as the topic states, I'm most likely buying either one of these tomorrow (DX7440 or A95, if I can get off of work early enough) and either will be my very first DC. I'm very excited to say the least, as I've lurked here for over a year, probably more like two, gathering information, waiting for the right time to make the purchase etc. Well, I'm pretty familiar with the pros and cons that each present comparitively speaking, but perhaps what I"m looking for is a hearty and resounding confirmation that one might be generally better at one thing than the other. Here's what I know so far as far as the cons go: (from what I've read in various reviews of course)

Canon:
Purple Fringing
grainyness at higher ISO setting
blown out sky images in daylight

Kodak :
Proprietary Battery
no remote
Highly compressed pics/very saturated colour (good or bad depends on individual)
Battery life not as long as Canons

Outside of those things, I can't think of any other major cons at this point, though a few may have slipped my mind FTM. I've always liked the colour/pic signature of Kodak over Canon through the years, so I'm not worried about the saturation. The Kodak is $100 cheaper, but doesn't have ALL the bells and whistles that the Canon has either.

I live in NYC ( Manhattan) and will be taking some scenic shots in parks, but also some artistic photos (in my own mind I guess :G !) of things which catch my attention in general. I relly just enjoy trying to capture interesting moments and objects when they present themselves, so this will be not only a general purpose DC for vacation pics, but also for shots which may require "some" manual tinkering. And that's really where the Canon shines now isn't it ?

The Kodak doesn't have manual WB or manual focus (I think?) but it does have that great color view finder, manual exposure and other manual stuff which is cool. As I'm writing this, I believe that I'm still pretty sold on the Kodak, but am wondering if there's anything that you more experienced people might ask yourselves if you were me, something I may be missing ? Thanks for reading and for any opinions, suggestions or advice anyone may have.

Happy shooting,
Doug

Sweet Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:22 AM   #2

There is pleanty of info about picture quality - here are some observations of a everyday use.

I own a Powershot S45 and the 7440. Both are nice but the edge for my needs goes to the Kodak. The 7440 is just so fast - at startup and lag time. My primary subject is a 3 year old so speed is an issue. Also the flash is a single burst as opposed to the Canon which has a slight stobe effect which renders my subject with half-opened eyes.

I like the build of the Canon better - feels real solid as opposed to the plastic of the Kodak. They both fit in larger pockets just fine (Cargo pants) but because the Kodak is plastic it doesn't pull down my pants like the Canon does.

Also the LCD is great on the Kodak - The A95's swivel screen is certainly a big plus but the size of the Kodak screen is equally enticing.

As for battery life I have two batteries so one is always being charged so it's not that big of a deal.

Regardless of what you get keep in mind that you'll probably get a different cam in a couple years so it's not like this is a lifetime commitment. Buy it and be happy.
uncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:58 PM   #3

Thank you uncool, I appreciate the bits of info there In any case, as I type this, I'm also looking at a small red light which is the battery charging for my... *drum roll* Kodak DX 7440 !

I got off from work early, took the bus down to B&H, and checked out with the camera and pretty cool camera case for $314.90 I have yet to buy a SD card, but I'm working on that now online, and am super psyched to start using my new DC !

I can't wait to post my first pic ..I wonder what it will be ? :?:

Happy shooting,
Doug
Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:13 PM   #4

Bravo! I also am a proud new owner of a DX7440, although I bought mine about 3 weeks ago. I had been shooting with a DC120 for about the past 5 years.
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:21 AM   #5

Pics straight out the box are really crisp, very vivid and easy to manage. However, the documentation, is some of the worst I've seen for a device with so many features. I wonder if Kodak has online documentation that can take the place of the crappy manual the 7440 comes with ? Otherwise, I'll have to just buy a book and learn about the basics from there, which I guess I plan on doing anyway, but some things may be more Kodak specific towards this particular camera.

A friend and I are planning on taking a photography course soon, in NYC where I live. I wonder, is anyone else thinking about doing this ? I ask because perhaps we can all go together. I guess I'll post this in a seperate thread later though..time for sleep.

Doug
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:04 AM   #6

Sweet Spot wrote:
[quote]However, the documentation, is some of the worst I've seen for a device with so many features. I wonder if Kodak has online documentation that can take the place of the crappy manual the 7440 comes with ? [quote]

Have you checked out the interactive demo on the Kodak Web site?

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...en_US#features

Under the big, red KODAK in the upper right hand corner you'll see some animation. If you hover over the first of the three pictures of the camera, the word "Demo" appears. Click there, and it will bring up a new window with a (to my mind) very useful interactive explanation of the buttons and features. Be sure to explore the "Modes" and "Menus" descriptions, which you will see in the lower right-hand corner of the demo window.

[Oops, gotta work on this quote and reply thing. Sorry. This is only my second post here.]
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote