Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:17 PM   #1

I bought an FZ-10 for 260us bucks (including shipping and tax). I know this is cheap, but should i have bought something better? I know the extra zoom isnt necessary, but i just loved the idea of being able to zoom closer into objects.

I bought this for my sister, who is pregnant and due this coming january. God bless her and my soon to be niece. I bought this camera because of my preferences. Sadly, i didnt think about how well it will be useful for taking pictures of her new addition to her family.

Is this a great choice for her? I heard there were some bad things about it? Is this the one that needs to have a firmware update?
trantua4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:22 PM   #2

I am assuming that you bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10. While there are other cameras out there that might be better for taking pictures of kids, you are right that that huge range of a zoom lense would be fun to have.

An ideal camera for kids would have very little shutter lag. The FZ10 (per Steve) averages about 9/10 seconds if not prefocused and takes about 5 seconds to turn on in the first place. You can definately do better than that, but I was able to put up with similar times with my daughter (only my camera turned on in half that time).

Another thing to consider is size. If your sister / brother-in-law can have the camera in their pocket, then they are much more likely to take the picture. Other people however love their SLR's.

A nice extra on this camera is the movie mode which can take 320x240 movies at 30 frames per second. While this is good, you can get cameras that do 640x480 at 30 fps (and a few even better than that). The 30fps is something you definately want to look for in videos (15 fps is too choppy). The 320x240 is a nice size though for keeping the files smaller so as to make it easier to share the files over the internet. The movie mode is good only for very short clips, so she will need a camcorder for any real length. However I think it is a function any parent with young kids would like to see on a camera.

The lense range of 35-420 is very nice. Too many of the cameras these days start at 38mm. Does your sister like to take pictures of birds? If so, this might just be something that she will really like.

For $260 this is definately a camera to consider, but how your sister will use a camera will need to be the deciding factor. Look at the forums to see if there is any problems with the camera you should be made aware of.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:24 PM   #3

I think you made a great buy. The price was definitely right, and the camera is very versatile. Your sister can just turn it on and use it in the point and shoot mode if she is new to photography, and there are many manual controls and other features she can learn to use as she gets more experienced. On the other hand, if she thinks it is too complicated, she can give it back to you and you will be able to enjoy it!
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:50 AM   #4

I think im starting to regret buying it. I know that she and her husband travel a lot, 1-2 times a year, to places like california, tropical beaches, etc. I dont think that it will be a problem carrying the camera around, as she has to bring a nursery bag with her, and im sure this should fit inside of it well. Thanks for the response, maybe i should sell it and get a better camera. Which camera would you recommend then?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:43 AM   #5

For the price, I think you bought the best all-round camera going. Saying that, though, there are certainly more portable alternatives. The big zoom may not seem important now, but may be ina couple of years when the little one starts walking/ running around. I find that my 3x zoom is never enough to frame a shot of my daughter in action.

hdburnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:09 PM   #6

hdburnham wrote:
Quote:
For the price, I think you bought the best all-round camera going. Saying that, though, there are certainly more portable alternatives. The big zoom may not seem important now, but may be ina couple of years when the little one starts walking/ running around. I find that my 3x zoom is never enough to frame a shot of my daughter in action.

Whats wrong with the fz-10? I heard that there are problems with the indoor pics, are there any way to solve this? Any newer firmware updates?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:46 PM   #7

Almost all digital cameras have their small faults. Indoor pics grainy, soft imagesetc. That's how it is as its still relativelynew technology that is improving by the day.For the price you paid for your FZ10 it's a steal. For the money you paid you should justbe getting an average point and shoot with 3x optical zoom. You got 10x and the FZ10 takes great pictures.
dalick is offline   Reply With Quote