Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1

Please suggest. Thanks
tom_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 5:49 PM   #2

It would help if you said what you needed the camera to do.
The Pansonic has better zoom and low light lens and image stabilization. While I have not seen a direct comparison it has a very good optics system so it has good resolution. However, it does not have manual focus. Check out this site and http://www.dcresource.com/ for comparable reviews. Oh yes, the 770 has a hot shoe, the others don't. I think the oly's have better movie modes.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 5:33 PM   #3

I have also narrowed my selection to these two camera's as well. Want to have a camera that is fairly simple to use for sports photography (soccer/basketball), vacations, indoor parties, etc.

I guess, what it boils down to is the 4mp of the Olympus vs IS and AF assist on the FZ3. From picture samples I have seen from various web sites, picture quality is quite close. Just don't know if I'm going to regret not having those two features in the FZ3 if I go with the C-765.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

toca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:04 PM   #4

You might want to check out the reviews on www.dpreview.com. I was surprised but the Fz-3 actually had better resolving power than the several 4 MP cameras. However, it does have some barrel distortion. Unfortunately the two sites which have very technically oriented reviews www.dpreview.com and http://www.imaging-resource.com/ don't review both camera's. However, this site and www.dcresource.com do. Both use the same test shots so you can do direct comparisons. Also, Consumer Reports rates the Panasonic's reliability as better than the Oly's. My major issue with the FZ-3 were barrel distortion at full wide angle and lack of manual focus. The latter pushed me to the FZ-20. Luck.
Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote