Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:10 AM   #1

Hi All,

I wasn't going to purchase a Digital SLR until I had more experience with my current Oly c750 but I am wondering if now is a good time to try and pick one up.

I have seen on a few reliable web-sites that the price of a Canon EOS 10D has dropped to the same price as a Nikon D70 (for us Europeans that is!). I know the 10D is a year or twoolder then the Nikon, but is it considered a better camera or does the Nikon have better features?

Basically I would look for something that has good Low-light abilities, able to take sequential shots and has a good range of lenses available. I havea grasp of the strengths and differencesbetween Compacts and dSLR cameras but I have never used an SLR digital or otherwise so advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2004, 7:18 AM   #2

The 10D is dropping in price as it has been discontinued (or will be soon) as the 20D replaced it. The 20D from what I hear is very good at low light shots, more so than the 10D.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 7:36 AM   #3

It is because the 10D is being discontinued is why I am considering purchasing it. Retailers are clearing out their stock in advance of the 20D's arrival. Unfortunately though the 20D is beyond my budget, even the 10D body with a single lens is at the limit of what I am prepared to spend - although I realise lenses can be picked up over the course of time so I am willing to push the boat out now for a good camera!

What I am interested in is whether the 10D is considered a better camera then the D70 or are they both entirely different animals? I would like to know their relative strengths and weaknesses compared to each other from people more experienced (and knowledgeable :?) then I :!:

Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:48 AM   #4
NHL

I would look into what lens systems you want to invest in...

Digital Camera are disposable and like 'film emulsions' -> there's always better 'film' next year, but you're stuck with the lenses!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:13 AM   #5

I concur with NHL on which lens do you prefer or already own. I already have lens for the Canon EOS bodies so I woul naturally buy the Canon camera. Both cameras are great tools and it would be a coin toss. I think that the 10d is a great buy because of the release of the 20D.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:38 AM   #6

Well I am starting from a clean sheet. I own neither SLR lenses or bodies.

I would expect to make use of an opticalzoom. I currently use an Oly c750 and I know I am not going to get a 38-380mm 35mm equivalent zoom at F2.8-3.5 without spending mega, mega money. However I don't think I could live without a relatively strong optical zoom lens.

I have heard of a Sigma 18-100 lens (Or something like that) that can be used with the Nikon D70. That would cover the broad range of my use of Optical zoom. I'm not sure about Kit lenses, I know they aren't the best or brightest and have often heard others advised to buy the Body only and a single good lens rather then a kit with two poorer bundled lenses.

I'm not that interested in Macro for SLR at the moment. I don't take many macro shots to begin with and my c750 is fairly effective at them anyway.

Which model uses the better range of lenses; the Canon 10D with EF lenses or the D70 with Nikkor lenses as well as some compatible Sigma lenses?

The price of both camera bodies on a reliable web-site are listed within €50 aaround the €1000 mark. Given shipping fees and that I would need to purchase memory, batteries and such I can expect to have €300-ish to play with for a lens. I gather that there is not much practical difference between either camera in terms of features, abilities or image quality?

Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:54 AM   #7

Most of my research with 3rd party lenses is that the different vendors provide models for Nikon and Canon. You can check this site for some ratings on different lens

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

You can also check www.shopping.com for pricing

Another site to read reviews on lenses by owners is

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:15 PM   #8

Thanks for the links - will check them out!

Basically what I would want is for a single lens (for the time being)to cover most situations. Basically:

Wide angle at or lower then the 38mm of my Oly. I guess that means a lens of 28mm or less wide angle given the 1.5/1.6 crop factors of the 10D/D70.

Telephoto lens of around 100mm. This should give me half the magnification the Oly is capable of and that should do me just about fine.

I know that in my price range this will mean F-stops around 3.5-5.6 which I can see will be a pain in the neck. I am not sure if the availability of higher ISO settings will compensate for this.

If you have any suggestions please fill me in!
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:43 PM   #9

One of my favorite lens is the Canon 28-135 USM IS F3.5. It is a great walk around lens for the price. They sell for about $400 us. I am not sure what Euro value is.

Sigma 18-125/3.5-5.6 DC Aspherical IF Zoom Lens for Canon sells for about $300 us and has received some decent reviews

Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:09 PM   #10

I have been looking at the very Canon lens you mentioned. It does seem to cover the range I am looking for although for €425 it is a little above my comfortable price-range thought I would be willing to part with another hundred for the image stabilization.

What camera do you use yourself and how does the lens perform with it?