Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2004, 7:39 PM   #1
rds

I've got it narrowed down (for now) between the Kodak 7590 and the Fuji S7000. Doing mostly outdoor shots in auto, and printing up to 8X10. I'd like a pretty good movie mode and fully automatic with the ability to play around later and teach myself the technical side of things as well.

Am I missing any other obvious choices? :?

Any input would be great. Thanks!
rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:47 AM   #2

I was looking at the same cameras, actually bought a S7000 but returned it (it had an overly noisy auto focus, but allowed me to re-think my overall decision). I was also looking at the Canon IS and Minolta Z3... was looking for something with IS, a fairly large zoom, full manual control, and fast response. I wound up with a Panasonic FZ20. Check out Steve's reviews.
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:29 PM   #3

I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and am considering adding a DX7590 to the arsenal. If the 7590 is like the 7440, you cannot zoom while you are capturing a video. That's not particularly important to me (we also have a digital video cam with 12X zoom), but if it is to you, check out that particular spec on the cameras you are considering. Also, some people don't like the fact that the Kodak doesn't have IS (image stabilization) and therefore may require the use of a monopod or tripod at full zoom. Again, not particularly important to me. I used to shoot a with Yashica TL Electro-X 35mm SLR. I had a couple of long lenses I sometimes used at music festivals. I figure if I could handle that much weight without a tripod and get great shots, I can do this.

I decided on Kodak products because:

1. ease of use according to many commercial and user reviews here and on other Web sites

2. my first digicam was a Kodak DC120 zoom, so I learned digital photography using an early Kodak model

3. before that I used a Kodak Advantix camera, which I loved (after I had babies, I didn't want to haul the heavy metal SLR equipment around anymore), and

4. to support the local economy and all that. For me, that means Rochester, NY, but you may also consider U.S. as opposed to foreign manufacturers, for what it's worth. I'll go to my city neighborhood hardware store rather than a chain store at the shopping plaza; that's how much I believe in shopping locally. Although I confess that most of my wardrobe arrives at my house in boxes from L.L. Bean!

[I see you are from Canada, rds, so ignore my rant about U.S. manufacturers!.]
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 2:28 AM   #4

Another deficiency of the Kodaks is thatthey lack a manual focus.

Also consider the Olympus 10x zoom models, the Fuji S-5100, and maybe the Nikon 5700.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:24 AM   #5

I've got the previous Kodak Model the 6490. I've had it about 3 months now. (yes, it always happens that I buy something and they bring out a new model 4 weeks later!!!).

Anyway I have just been shooting Tigers in India (with it and my panasonic video) and I can give a possitive report on the Kodaks performance. Having my own video I didn't use the video feature much, and its true you can't zoom while filming video.

However I used most of the still features and the results have been fantastic. I can recommend the multishot feature (6 shots in quick succession), also the jog dial under/over exposure compensator, which I found great when shooting sunsets directly into the sun.

What was really incredable though was the battery life. I took over 200 stills, some with flash, all at highest quality, and reviewed them ofton and deleted a few (30-40) before I had a warning that I had to re-charge the battery.

A friend who had the olympus (10x zoom one) was constantly having to change his battery after 20-30 shots. Later he found out that by not switching his camera off his battery life got longer!!!.

I think the only differance betwwen the 6490 and 7590 is the number of pixels. I dont think that the extra million pixels will mean anything to me. I don't want to blow my shots up to poster size, and I have some very sharp picture that i have printed on my HP 5550.

Hope this helps.

Xargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 3:53 PM   #6

Hey, Xargon, I'd love to see those tigers. Can you post a shot for us? Sounds like the DX 6490 was just the right piece of equipment for you and your requirements. It's always nice to read a post from a satisfied consumer. Yeah, I'm impressed with the battery in my 7440, too. It's small and lightweight; I don't have to let it run down before I recharge it, and I can take the camera off the dock mid-charge if I want to.
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 1:11 AM   #7
rds

Thanks for all the input! Have crossed the Kodak off the list (no manual focus), and have added the S5100. FZ20 looks nice too, but I'm not sure if I'd use it enough to justify the extra $250 Cdn for it over the 5100. Any input?

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2004, 3:43 AM   #8

I have found the sample photos of the FZ-20 to be disappointingly noisy.

You might want to look at the FZ-15, which is 4MP, but lacks the hotshoe of the FZ-20... Also, some good deals on the 4 MP FZ-10 now - but it shoots only Jpg (the other two also shoot TIFF).

There's also the Minolta Z3 in this category - 12x zoom and stabilized lens, Jpg only.

Do lots of research and look at lots of sample photos from each camera you're considering - and have some printed if you can.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:52 AM   #9

I'll see what I can do about letting you see some tiger shots. Most of them are about 1mg in size, and I'm not quite sure how I go about reducing that.

I don't have a camera dock. I think that in the USA (and maybe Canada?) the dock comes with the camera when you buy it. However here in Europe its an optional extra. I don't even think I need it. just pulg the camera into any pc and its recognised. Then I just copy the shots over to my hard drive.

I have actually deleted the Kodak Easyshare software, because I found it was making my computer run slower. It sits listening all the time (just go in task manager and see what tasks are running) For viewing and editing shots I have a program called Ulead (I think from Hama?) and I print using the HP photoprint utility.

I'm actually a newbie when it comes to digital photography, and actually mainly take stuff on my travels. (Next stop Madagascer, Lemurs and Chamelions!!!)

Xargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:02 PM   #10
rds

Thanks for all the help, everyone. After much humming and hawing and reading and looking and waiting for sales, I picked up an S5100 this afternoon.