Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1

Am torn between these two cameras. 5 MP and 7x optical vs 4 MP and 12x optical. They have similar qualities and prices. I want a camera I can grow with as a somewhat newbie photographer and artist, image quality is the most important. Any opinions?
nordica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:55 PM   #2

The A1.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:37 AM   #3

I bought the FZ10 a few months ago and have been amazed with the results. If you get the A1 with 7x you will realise just how great the ultra zooms are and you will want more! I want more than 12x now that ive had the FZ10.
I understand why some people are apprehensive about the Panasonic cameras as they don't have a SLR background but don't let this fool you the FZ10 is an amazing camera. But I would recommend the FZ20 as it has sorted out the few problems there were with the FZ10.
I guess it all depends on how much zoom you want/need. If you need 12x then you really cant go wrong with the FZ20.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:48 PM   #4

I would go with the A1 also- while(obviously) the 12x will allow you to takecloser pictures than the 7x, the A1lens also provides a lens that can handle wide angle pictures up to (down to?) 28mm. If you want a camera that you can grow with, you probably want a camera that can handle both types of situations - wide angle and zoom.

Zoom lenses are worthless for handling scenic or group pictures.

In my opinion the 12x is one-dimensional, and will not provide you with the range ofoptions that you want.
basquedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 1:12 PM   #5

basquedude wrote:
Quote:
Zoom lenses are worthless for handling scenic or group pictures.

In my opinion the 12x is one-dimensional, and will not provide you with the range ofoptions that you want.

What do you mean by this? Obviously, you need a wider angle for vistas and group pictures. But the Panasonic does go down to 36mm. That's not so bad either.
mslan is offline   Reply With Quote