Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2004, 6:37 PM   #1

What digital cameras can I buy that will take indoor basketball photos of my grandson without costing and arm and a leg?
kluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2004, 7:38 PM   #2

kluman wrote:
Quote:
What digital cameras can I buy that will take indoor basketball photos of my grandson without costing and arm and a leg?

For that purpose you would need a fast lens and a camera with high ISO capability. This probably means a DSLR, which will cost an arm and a leg. Even with that sort ofequipment, you'll have difficulty freezing actionunder artificial light.

If that's all you need it for, a better option mightbe to hire a professional photographer for a session.

muskrat sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:42 AM   #3

Sam. Do you think the Canon EOS Rebel digital SLR would do it?
kluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:50 PM   #4

kluman wrote:
Quote:
Sam. Do you think the Canon EOS Rebel digital SLR would do it?
The Rebel has an max ISO of 1600 and would probably do. But the issue is the lens. For what you have in mind I think you'd need a minimum shutter speed of 1/500th second. I don't think the lens that comes with the basic Rebel kit would be good enough. (Max aperture 3.5-5.6, I think.)

I'm not sure quite what you have in mind or precisely what conditions you'd be shooting under, but I think you'd be better off with a faster lens. To get the speed you want it might have to be fixed focal length. (Zooms are generally slower.)

An option would be to purchase the Rebel (a very nice camera) and hire a lens for the occasion. It might pay to take some light readings around the basketball court with an off-camera meter. Talk to your local camera shop guy. Good luck.
muskrat sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:46 AM   #5

This is an often posed question, and no prosumer camera will do. There are two factors to consider - distance and light. Will flash be allowed for example? There is no doubt in my mind that only two cameras - and these at the cheaper end - should be considered - the Canon Rebel and the Nikon D70. They are still expensive though.

Foran everyday use the kit lens will do, but for action sports, especially indoors, you will need a 70/200 zoom at least and F2.8 throughout the length of the zoom. In both Canon and Nikon this is going to cost about $1,700 just for the lens, but Sigma make an alternative for about $700 which will be perfectly adequate.

If flash is allowed, buy the respective dedicated flash - I use the D70 with the 70/200 and the SB800 flash. By the way, if you go the Nikon route, don't consider the SB600 flash, it being only $50 cheaper and much inferior.

Unfortunately there is no alternative. Good action shots in low light require expensive equipment. If you buy any other camera you will just be fooling yourself and wasting your money.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote