Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:08 AM   #1

I have Minolta XT, Sony V1. My son is going to use the Sony V1 for his 6 weeks educational trip next year, so I'll end up with XT which is no good in low light as it does not have lowlight focus assist. Now I want to buy a new cam, preferable as small as XT or as big as W1, I'm thinking of the Sony T3 or W1, both have AF assist lamp.

I'll be buying it in Japan next year, as we will go there for our annual trip, or I can order it in the US from a friend on December (W1) Or should I get Canon S500 instead? I really like the design of the T3, although questionable pix quality in low light, and the memory stick pro duo is really really expensive. What do you suggest I get?

Ching
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:09 PM   #2

I'm beginning to think they aught to post a note at the beginning of the forum: "What do you want to do with your camera (take people, take wildlife, take basketball games in a dim auditorium)". (sorry this is the fourth message in a row which lacks that information).

Since you indicate that you had a Sony and liked it, you might want to look at a Sony 150. I don't think their higher end one which uses the 7.1 MP sensor is out yet. That is supposed to be a remarkably good sensor. Of course, the 150 does have limits. You might want to check out the reviews here and at www.dpreview.com and www.dcresource.com

bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:34 AM   #3

Oh sorry, but generally will be used for taking vacation photos, my pets at home, kids, not so much with view so I wouldn't need the longish zoom. I will be bringing it along with me inside my bag, the V1 sometimes don't fit inside a smaller bag (shoulder bag) my XT is perfect, so I would like to buy a small one. I'm now checking the W1 (which is a bit big) but have this lovely big 2.5 LCD and takes in AA rechargeable. Or something smaller like Canon SD300 which also has a big LCD (2) although I have to wait for the upcoming reviews of it. Maybe a T3, if I ever see it up close, I might fell in love with it. With all those bashingre pix quality of the T1, I saw some pictures that were taken with it and at low light, the pix are not that bad, so I might be able to get a bit of tweaking of the T3.....still thinking which I'll buy.

I'm not that particular with pix quality, so long as it's better than my minolta XT, that'll do.

Ching
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:20 PM   #4

The form factor of the P series is even smaller. The reason I mentioned the P150 was because its sensor is supposed to be better than the one in P-100 W-1. However, neither of the P series camera has to LCD of the W however. I went looking for a slightly different type of camera so my detailed research would be of little value. However, the Sony Cannon and Panasonic are all listed as being the most reliable brands by Consumer Reports. Sorry I could not be of more help, but hopefully now that your needs are clearer, someone else will be able to help. Enjoy your trip.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:25 PM   #5

I've read good things about the P150, however, I really don't like the design of the P series, I want something that can make people say wow, so in form factor W1 is out of the picture, but then W1 has a big LCD.

I guess I have to decide next year when I go on vacation to Japan, I'll check these 3 cams with each other: T3; W1; SD300

For now T3 is on top of my choice....when I'm there - who knows, I might see other small cams that I would like better than these 3 :G

Thanks Bill for the info.

Ching