Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:15 AM   #1
Laz

Pretend you're starting from scratch again........I'm on the verge of getting on the digital train but with a limited budget am wondering how to break up the camera vs printer vs scanner budget.

eg. Maybe 5Mp Olympus 5060 (like the wide angle) or Panasonic FZ20 (nice zoom +OIS) with an Epson R800 printer (very good reviews), and worry about scanner forslide collection later, OR,

Olympus 8080 (more MP + more zoom, bit more bulky) with (cheaper) Epson R310 (or even RX510 which includes same printing + a scanner for little more).....

Wildcards: Canon G7? Sometimes even consider D70 for shallower DOF (impotant)butdon't wantthat much bulk or priceat present....

BTW, I'm coming from experienced 35mm background (eg. Nikon F90x + Leica R3).

Thanks.

Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:38 AM   #2

I would recommend the Oly 5060W and the Canon i960 printer. I own the i960 and it is a terrific printer. You can buy both of these items at www.buydig.com for under $600.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:06 AM   #3

My take is to invest the money into the camera and lenses (if going DSLR) - you can use third parties to do your printing and get your own printer down the road. You can still do all your own editing of the photos before taking (or sending if you have high speed internet). Especially if you have SLR experience, you may have twinges of guilt if you take money from the camera to spend on the printer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:25 AM   #4

John

I would also invest in DSLR but Laz indicated he did not want the bulk of the DSLR package.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:59 PM   #5

I would go with yourchoice #2 (actually I did, that's my setup). The C-8080 is reasonably compact for a prosumer camera and very sturdy. The lens is excellent and you can later add the Olympus lens extension to widen your zoom to 22.4mm. The R310 printer prints beautiful borderless 8x10s and also prints directly to printable CD-Rs & DVDs so that you can createpersonalized photo CDs. The R-310has slots for the C-8080's two types ofmemory cards (CF & xD)so you canprint directly or download the files to your PC.
riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 8:41 AM   #6
Laz

Thanks.

Last question is in relation to glossy pictures. All digital stuff seems to talk about glossy paper. What about less glossy finishes? Is the R310 similarly good at satin and matte prints (especially B+W) which I tend to like?
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:58 AM   #7

Hi my 2.5 cents worth :G

5mp and 6mp cameras have no trouble making 8*11 prints, and IMHO going to 8mp does not buy you anything in image quality at this output size except maybe more noise. 8mp does give you a bigger file if you need to crop.

I personally don't like glossy finishes at all, all my output to date has been on Epsons Enhanced Matt, FinerArt Velvet and Watercolor papers, The closest to shiney I've used is called satin.

I have recently obtained some Crecent papers at a trade show (Coldpress watercolor, Velvet, Satin) to try out. Haven't had a chance to profile them yet.

I use the epson UltraChrome inks and I find the results to be great. I calibrate my printer/papers with ColorVision's PrintFIX, and my monitor with SpiderPro Optical. So far has worked out very well.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:53 AM   #8
blr

I'd also go with the 5 MP and a better printer option. On an A4 you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between 5MP and 8MP camera (all the rest being equal). At the same time a better printer will produce sharper images with better colour.

About the papers I've had good results with Epson Premium Semigloss paper. It has the texture of something like Ilford MG-Pearl. For B&W printing Epson Matt Paper Heavyweight has given me the best results in terms of tone and gradation. I still use glossy paper mostly for snapshot prints.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote