Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:24 PM   #1

I want to buy a DC with 5 M. Who can give me some recommandation?

Comparing Canon A95 with Nikon Coolpix 5200,which one is better?

Thanks!
mason&maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:12 PM   #2

By looking to Steve's sample images, the A95 is a claer winner, no doubt. If you want something that fits in your pocket, has a good value and excelent quality look at the Minolta G600. You won't get the AF assist ligth, but in Manual mode you can overide the low ligth focusing problems. And it's stupid fast....otherwise, I would only consider the A95, between the two you mentioned.
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:04 AM   #3

Thank your very much ttretas!your suggestion isvery helpful for me.

Can you explain more clearly about what is wrong with Coolpix 5200? Comparing their prices, Nikon's is higher. Moreover, as far as I know, the lens of Nikon is the best in the world.

Thanks again for your time!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:14 PM   #4
blr

mason&maggie wrote:
Quote:
Thank your very much ttretas!your suggestion isvery helpful for me.

Can you explain more clearly about what is wrong with Coolpix 5200? Comparing their prices, Nikon's is higher. Moreover, as far as I know, the lens of Nikon is the best in the world.

Thanks again for your time!
mason&maggie, these two cameras are quite different and target different groups of photographers. Coolpix 5200 is a very compact fully automatic camera aimed at the casual snapshotter or a novice photographer. Canon A95 on the other hand is bulkier and has a lot of manual control. Its target user groupis, more experienced photographers or users that is likely to get more technically involved in photography. It is up to you to decide to which of the above groups you belong and try to predict how you interest in photography is likely to grow. In terms of image quality the Coolpix 5200 (and most point and shot cameras) is optimised to give a good result with minimum user input. A95, IMO is capable of delivering betterimages in the hands of a person that knows how to handle the manual overrides. About the Nikon's lens I'm sure it is a fine peace of glass, I'm not sure it is the best in the world though. Judging optical quality of compact digicams is a tricky business, because the end result depends on many other things, how the image is processed by the camera, how it is viewed etc. To me the Coolpix 5200 is a bit overpriced. You can get equally capable and well build cameras for less.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 9:06 AM   #5

Hi, blr. Thanks for your detailed answer. But I still have another question about CCD and purple fringing.

I was told the picture ofcanon A95 always has purple fringing. Do you think that is a big problem? What is about Coolpix 5200? Does this model also have purple fringing? Actualy, I prefer Canon too, since its goodreputation and low price. But many people in this forum raise the topic about CCD. Do you think the CCD is the main reason to purple fringing?

Sorry to give you so many questions. Anyhow, I want to buy one camera recently. But thisbucks is not a small one. So, I want to have enough information first.

Thanks again for your time and for everybody who give me answers!