Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:47 AM   #1

hi all,

i currently own a minolta z3 and a olympus c-765, im thinking of buying another camera to add to my current collection, and something that is marginally better than what i currently have, as im looking to start more professional photography i would buy a digital SLR, however the price of SLR's and also the size has made me re-think about buying one, ive been looking at the panasonic f-z20, and a few other long-zoom models like the minolta A2, the kind of spec that i need is, 5mp +, a long zoom, iso that extends further than 400 (bit uncommon for non-slr's i know), a bright lens something like f2.8 throughout, and i would like a anti-shake type feature as i take lots of photos in low light/handheld etc, are they any cameras out now which match that kind of spec? if not is there any coming out soon to look out for? as ive said i would get an SLR, that would have the majority of what im looking for, but im not sure weather i could afford it.

regards

nate
ukurbanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:22 PM   #2

Well, with the features you listed I would have to say go for the FZ20. It has all the features you listed except for ISO greater than 400. I have read some great posts regarding this camera and the reviews on it have been very complimentary. So much so that I ordered one myself last week and am now waiting for it to arrive. This camera has a hot shoe so you can add external flashes to it for better illumination in low light situations. I found this link very interesting and informative about the FZ20.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Pana..._DMC-FZ20.html

Snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:10 AM   #3

By saying you want a: long-zoom model like the minolta A2, the kind of spec that i need is, 5mp +, a long zoom, iso that extends further than 400 (a bit uncommon for non-slr's i know, etc). is incorrect.

A Minolta A2 is not a long zoom model & it's 8mp sensor will not give you decent images at ISO 400. However, the Dimage A1 & A2 are the most bang-for-the-buck Digicams that you can buy unless you are wanting a DSLR. I bought an A1 after selling my Canon D30-DSLR because of the excellent optics, anti-shake & wide range of features. For me, I find that I can make images that rival a DSLR in the print size I favor, while having better size to weight ratios. The A1 & A2 actually have more custom settings than most (if not all) DSLR's.

Since you already have several long-zoom cameras, I am curious as to why you want another one? I had a Minolta G400 that I used for a short time & it was a pocket-cam with super-fast electronics & great images. Along with my A1, I couldn't imagine wanting more. After all...how many cameras can you carry around your neck at one time?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:17 AM   #4

What about the Z3? It's a 4 mp with 7X zoom I believe. That might also be one to look at. I was looking at this one before I made my decision to buy the FZ20 but I had read quite a few posts where people were complaining about it freezing up on them. That concerned me.

Snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:05 AM   #5

many thanks for the help, i will take a look at the fz20 in more depth, i think it is going to be a close run between the fz20 and the A2 as to which i will buy, both have excellent features, the reason im finding myself buying another long-zoom model is that i take quite a few telephoto shots and im looking to up the size and quality of the shots i take, 4mp is not really enough for what im starting to get into , it looks as though i am going to go for a digital prosumer camera, as i really could not afford a lens as big as 10xfor a digital SLR. the A2 has 7x zoom right? this in my opinion makes it worthy of having quite a long zoom, its not a massive zoom, but nnot small either, and it could be brought up to 10x or there abouts with a add-on lens. The reason i would get the panasonic over the A2 is the f2.8 12xlens, my dimage z3 i have currently drops to f4.5 at full telephoto which is disappointing, especially in low-light.

thanks again for the help

nate.
ukurbanart is offline   Reply With Quote