Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:41 PM   #1

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a new ultra compact digital camera.

Basically I am looking for a camera that I can carry around with me everywhere I go. So I'm looking for something small, sturdy, and fast. I will use it just for random point and click photos...nothing special. It also needs to have a good flash b/c I would like to use it indoors and at night. Also it has to have at least 2X optical zoom and at least 4MP. I don't care about video or sound...I just need a quick still camera.

I also always like to have the latest technology...so I wouldl like to get something that is relativly new or will be comming out soon. Also I'm not sure about the price range...I am willing to spend upwards of about $400, but since I want to carry this around with me everywhere I don't want to have a mental breakdown if something happens to it. So the price is a bit of a trade off.

I have been looking at:
Sony DSC-T1
Olympus Stylus Verve
Casio EX-Z55

What do you guys think of those cameras? Do you have any other suggestions on what I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Roland
rsnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:49 PM   #2

I had the same requirement. I needed a very compact camera which I could carry in my shirt pocket for site visits.

I settled on the Pentax Optio S4i:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s4i.html#specs

So far, I'm pretty happy. It's the smallest I could find and has 4 mp with a x3 optical zoom. Lens is pretty fast at 2.6 at 35 mm. The flash is average, being a bit limited in range.

For a camera of its type, I find the image quality excellent. (In the Steve's digicam review I think there were someQA issues.) The camera is fully auto, with a number of different programmed modes, but no capability for manual over-ride, other than exposure compensation. (Fortunately this is not an issue for my particular application.)

The camera is solid and sturdy, which was another of my requirements. (Which is fortunate because some clod dropped a spanner on to it. Although it dented the metal case, the camera still works fine.) Cost in Australia atpresent isabout A$650, which is about US$400.
muskrat sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:12 AM   #3

Hello,

Another suggestion is the Minolta Dimage X50. I think there is a good chance that it's simple lense cover and internal zoom design might end up being more reliable in the long run. I think it has a metal body too, which I happen to like. I would have a hard time deciding between this camera, a metal Canon digital Elph, or the Pentax mentioned above....

Regards,

Phil

p.s. Sears mail order had the Sony DSC U30 for $114 a few weeks ago....
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:27 AM   #4

I already cracked 2 LCD displays of my exilim ex-m2 - makes me a little hesitant about getting the ex-z55....

I need a camera that I can just put in my pocket and the display won't crack the sec it touches a pair of keys...

which is the best camera I can get?

thanks
samion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:34 AM   #5

If you want stupid fast, very strong cameras, the Minolta G series are the way to go,G400, G500, or G600. But be aware, they're not very good at low ligth (as it happens with most of the cameres witouth AF assist lamp, other than that they're great.

I can speak for the G400, the smallest, wich I carry around everywhere. All AL body and excellent build quality.

The G500 is also an ecellent camera, JimC can speak for it.

The new G600 is to young, I don't have an opinion on it.
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:44 AM   #6

samion wrote:
Quote:
I already cracked 2 LCD displays of my exilim ex-m2 - makes me a little hesitant about getting the ex-z55....

I need a camera that I can just put in my pocket and the display won't crack the sec it touches a pair of keys...

which is the best camera I can get?

thanks
One without a display. IOW, photography as our forefathers intended.....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 2:10 PM   #7
rp3

There's also the Canon Powershot SD200/300. The SD200 is marginally larger than the Optio.

I'm a T1 hater and among sonys think both the L1 and P100 would better meet your needs.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 5:29 PM   #8

rsnj

If you want fast and indoor flash photography, you should stick with something that has an auto-focus assist lamp. The Sony P100 is a good camera that fits your description (very fast and auto-focus assist lamp.) Also the Sony V1 is almost as compact and has a hotshoe for attaching an external flash. I think the Sony T1 is a very cool looking camera, but I wouldn't pick it for quality photos.
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 5:59 PM   #9

You might want to look at the Panasonic FX-7... It has 2.5" screen and Optical image stabilization which allows you to get clear photos at slow shutter speeds.

This is very handy at night/indors since most of the flashes on the very small cameras are not very powerfull.

However, I can't imagine the screen would hold up to bouncing against a set of keys on any of these cameras
Steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:30 AM   #10

I've had my eye on the Sony DSC-L1.
It's tiny, has a nice optical zoom, and is 3.1MP.
Mostly it's tiny.
If you really need all 4mp, maybe go bigger, but I think the L1 is really a sweet point of size, features, and price.

at least for my budget.
klocwerk is offline   Reply With Quote